Sign in to follow this  
Magel

7800 GT SLI Cooling

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone can suggest a good cooler(s) I can buy to replace the stock cooling on my video card's ? Ive been looking at Zalman VF900-Cu ( http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=2897 ) Are these any good for an SLI setup ?

I have a pair of XFX 7800GTs in my LAN box. I have an Accelero on one, and a Silencer on the other. I had two silencers, but one crapped out on me - they actually replaced my silencer with an Accelero - nice move on their part...kinda). These are on an Asus a8n-sli premium, so the spacing is similar to your Expert. With the Accelero in the top slot (less air space between cards) - it was running 10 degrees hotter than the card with the Silencer! With it moved to the bottom position, it runs 3 degrees warmer than the card with the Silencer. It really needs that additional airspace fetwen the bottom of the case, as opposed to the lesser space between the two cards. They both have AS5, and the case has plenty of airflow. They're both extremely quiet. Based on temps, I'd take another Silencer, but they're both very solid choices. Hope this helps.

Dang Watsonte, you lucky dawg!

The Alfred E. Neuman avatar. Couldn't be much kewler dude.

I am green with envy. Congratulations.

"What, me worry?"

yeah but ur running 7900s' dude...and i doubt those temps are accurate anyway but thats besides the point...i did a long drawn out testing process with a few different coolers awhile back in this section using sli 7800s' and my testing showed to me (me only is all im saying) that the stock coolers work every bit as good as anything else. an arctic cooler or somthing that pumps the heat out of the case helps...but the largest improvement to overall lower temps without water cooling is to place a 120mm fan on the side blowing fresh air right at them and having enough airflow in the case to keep the air intake at the cards to below 30C....i used a probe right between the cards ...

yeah but ur running 7900s' dude...and i doubt those temps are accurate anyway but thats besides the point...i did a long drawn out testing process with a few different coolers awhile back in this section using sli 7800s' and my testing showed to me (me only is all im saying) that the stock coolers work every bit as good as anything else. an arctic cooler or somthing that pumps the heat out of the case helps...but the largest improvement to overall lower temps without water cooling is to place a 120mm fan on the side blowing fresh air right at them and having enough airflow in the case to keep the air intake at the cards to below 30C....i used a probe right between the cards ...

There is definitely a difference between the stock coolers and just about anything else. The stock coolers I had on the XFX 7800GTs gave me load temps over 55 - the silencers brought those down at least 8 degrees. Regardless of accuracy on the temp sensors - that's still a difference measured between two coolers on the same crappy sensors. I agree with the placement of the fan between the cards. It's an idea comparable to Abits SLIpstream fan (comes with the fatality mobo).