Sign in to follow this  
Clark Hume

My OC is slipping away . . .

I built this rig about a year ago and immediately hit an HTT ceiling of 270 at 1.65 v core. I was happy. Replaced my old trusty 2x256 Corsair XMSs with the Patriot sticks, which worked to spec-- 2.5-4-4-8 at 1/1 and 2.9 v--for several months.

Then it began. I started having general stability problems with games, normal apps, and benchmarks. So I loosened the memory timings to 3-5-5-10. I lost a step in performance, but regained stability . . . for a couple of months. Now, to ensure stability, I've had to reduce my HTT to 265, again losing a step in performance.

I've reformatted and restored my OS a couple of times, replaced my powersupply and harddrive, used my old Corsairs and even tried some new OCZ platinums (4000), and swapped video cards.

Is my rig dying a slow death? Did I shorten her life by overvolting my CPU? Can I mess with some settings to recover some of my performance?

Any ideas?

If it is in fact a hardware issue, the first thing that I'd consider would be the "Antec TruePower-II, 480W". Sounds as if it may be crapping out and not getting enough power to your hardware.

every pair of tccd that i have seen running 2,9 or more vdimm ......after a couple of months....6....8...will start to fail......

no errors in memtest but windows instability.....

i would try another set of ram....most likely you will have to rma the xblk

I also started wondering ... My OCDB stable settings are hanging quite often now... Don't know if it was software or bios problem, but now I need to Prime at stock speeds again to check stability.

Too many volts for too long will cause EM to set in faster. Heat helps the process along.(Cooler only slows it down) I'm not sure if that's whats happening. But it's a good guess, Can you borrow someone elses processor to test on? Steelballz is right about TCCD but you replaced that. Powersupply is also a good try but you replaced that too. You still might test the psu with a DMM. And see if the new 1 is outta' spec.

I had some settings wrong in bios, now testing with default vcore (1.32V), reached 2782 Mhz and still priming (5hrs already)...

This time I'll try maximum OC with lowest possible volts, as I am sure that I have enough power.