Sign in to follow this  
jo2jo

I need you guy's honest opinion

Ok so i'm about to build a rack mount 3U server that i will be running backup services @ a colocation site, from.

I would like some suggestions on the MB you guys suggest even if not dfi. I'm obviously here ONLY going for reliability and will be doing NO oc'ing of any kind.

I just assume get an expert board since i know dfi MB's are made with high quality parts. Pair this with a quality ocz PSU, a backup nic PCI card, a 2nd RAID pci card (i will use NV and pci, NOT SI 3114 controler.) and some good ram and an x2 3800. + a nice 3u rack mount case and i should be good :/

like i said, reliabilty NOT speed, the place i'm colocating at is in New orleans and had 100% uptime through all katrina, so it will be my equpiment failing not theirs :)

What do you guys think? or is their a better MB i should be going with for this application/

tks joe

EDIT: oh and some bad ace fans ofcorse :)

If you are building a 24/7 server that must be up or time and money is lost, use parts built specifially for that purpose. Look into Supermicro and Tyan motherboards, ECC capable CPU's and/or chipsets, SCSI, and server grade components. If you aren't willing to fork over that kind of dough and don't need a whole lot of power, Look into buying an older Workstation that uses the 400FSB Socket 603 Xeons. I have a Compaq W8000 w/ dual 2.2 xeons that I picked up from a law firm here in town when they upgraded. I'm into it cheap and between the company I bought from and myself it has not even needed a CMOS clear in 7 years.

An expert would be a very bad choice for that environment.

thanks for the quick response...i guess after thinking about it you guys are right.

im just taking for granted my 14+ years of very good luck with "computers" (i used macs and *nix systems up till about 1yr ago at which point windows became my primary sys .)

Im going to start reading into some more server related parts...in the mean-time if anyone has any specific parts they know are good/reliably please point them out.

EDIT: or any good places to buy server oriented parts since newegg does not cover everything i see...

thanks

joe

Guest nibs

I think Tekram still makes good SCSI cards at lower prices then Adaptec. I've had my card since the days of PII-266 and it still works like a charm. I've never had any problems in any of the systems I've had along the way, including my current one. So if you go the SCSI route and need an add in card I'd suggest Tekram to save money. Can't really give you any recommendations on other server grade equipment though.

Tyan mobo with Opteron 940 cpu, 1GB or 2GB ECC Registered RAM, gigabit hardware-controlled network interface card, high tolerance power supply, hot-swappable RAID hdd's (SATA or SCSI, depends on how much money you have and how much space you need in your 3U for all this stuff)

never go with anything consumer for mission-critical hardware requirements (like webservers etc)

i'm assuming when you say hardware controlled nic you mean most pci nic's (not one onboard) like and intel or broadcomm chipset.. here is what i have so far:

Tyan S2875ANRF (Tiger K8W 8151) Audio/LAN/IEEE-1394/8X AGP/SATA Raid REG DDR ATX 940-pin

ONE AMD Opteron 244 1.8GHz 1MB 64/32 Bit (940)

1 GB DDR (400) PC-3200 REG ECC Corsair Low Profile (CM72SD1024RLP-3200)

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX 2.2/EPS/SLI Power Supply

All that and a good 2U case... Its ok to use only one CPU right? I dont need much power at all, it will simply be a machine that is backed up to, but must be up. I will prob. have either 4 or 6 HD's running off this machine / psu.

thanks for all the help so far.

Guest Blooz1

This is O/T, but the outfit you're going to be working with, is that the same guys who kept the blog + webcams up and running all through the hurricane when they "camped out" in the office? (Can't hink of the name - I got hooked and read it every day!)

haha thats so funny. Actually yes that is who i will be using.. with all the jokes going around.."who want to colocate in new orleans" ... "how dumb can you be.." ... those guys weathered katrina, they can handel anything. THey have 3 1/2 week of reserves and in that amount of time i can setup else where if ever i had to....

I think they only lost power for like 3 days during katrina too...i toured their facility.. certinly bad ace!.

www.zipa.com is the ppl, i was not going to law school in the fall i would try hard to work for them with the labor shortage around here...plus networking is what i do....btw check out the "tour our facility" link in the upper right..through picutres and they are not BS since i literally toured the facility monday.

here is what i have so far:

Tyan S2875ANRF (Tiger K8W 8151) Audio/LAN/IEEE-1394/8X AGP/SATA Raid REG DDR ATX 940-pin

ONE AMD Opteron 244 1.8GHz 1MB 64/32 Bit (940)

1 GB DDR (400) PC-3200 REG ECC Corsair Low Profile (CM72SD1024RLP-3200)

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX 2.2/EPS/SLI Power Supply

All that and a good 2U case... Its ok to use only one CPU right? I dont need much power at all, it will simply be a machine that is backed up to, but must be up. I will prob. have either 4 or 6 HD's running off this machine / psu.

thanks for all the help so far.

joe

Sign in to follow this