135 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4x250 GB WD drives in RAID0. Mmmmmmmmm TB[1]. NVidia RAID controller.

When I get home from work today I expect that Brown will have left me a SATA controller card (among other things) which I plan to use to software RAID1 two 250GB drives for the irreplaceable stuff.

[1]Actual formatted capacity may be less.

I am currently running 4 x 250GB WD in RAID0 on the NV controller. I may go back to using only 3 since HD Tach now tells me that the average read with the 4 drives is 118MB/s while it is 142MB/s using 3 drives. I am still looking into the problem; it could be that the new 4th drive has a problem.

Eeyore

I was running a RAID 0 as in my sig but due to messing around with Acronis I lost the whole array about 50Gb of music,data and downloads over 2 years :( my own fault, nothing to do with the program.

I think I will go back to RAID when I get another 120Gig, I would like to have boot drive on a RAID 0 and Games and Programs also on another seperate RAID 0.

I know the RAID is quicker access for everything but Running the OS ,Games and Page File on one RAID 0 array seems like to much for any real performance boost.

I had the OS on the RAID and my 120gigmaxtor as Games n programs but didnt see any performance jumps at all except for RAID benchmarks.

So now I use 120gig as OS / Storage---80Gig Games/Programs ----80Gig PageFile and storage. and I actually see better load times on games like BF2 and compression software like winrar. but like I said when i get a fourth drive I will run 2 RAID 0's

Using an array of four hitachi sata2 on this machine, and two really old (3 years I think) Seagate 120gb sata on another.

/Edit

Using nVidia chip on this one, and the nVidia chip on the nForce 3 Ultra machine.

Guest AAdjuster

I'm not using a raid array at this time, but I've thinking about trying it some time.