How Many Are Using A Raid Array

Guest Tmod_merged

135 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

As the title states I would like to know how many of you are running some sort of RAID array.

When you reply please mention which controller your array is on and what type of array it is.

The reason I am asking is for possibility's for Tmod's CD.

Thanks

Tmod

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two Hitachi 7K80's setup in RAID 0 (153.38GB - 3.0 Gb/s): (NVIDIA nForce RAID Class Controller).

p.s. Thanks for all of your hard work, Tmod! I just burned CD 7.0 to a CD-RW so I can attempt to flash my "first" BIOS. I have to say, I am extremely nervous about all of the possible problems. I am having a cold boot issue and ExRoadie suggested that I try 704-2bt.

Guest Timmay

I'm using 2 80GB Seagate 7200.7's in RAID 0. Stripe is 32k cluster is 8K. And its on the nF4 controller.

Run up to 4 Samsung Spinpoint 160GB drives on the nforce4 controller.

Currently awaiting a pair of 36GB Raptors for an nf2 board using the SiI 3114 controller on it.

Edit: Raid 0 of course, though I did toy with Raid 1 and 0+1 on the nf4 controller as well.

(it is 0+1 right...and not 1+0?)

No RAID for me, because the performance gain of RAID 0 is only marginal for a typical desktop user like me. RAID 0 gives a higher transfer rate, but not necessarily much higher I/O's per second. So, I'm pretty happy with single drives. As for RAID 1, could be worth the trouble and money. But for the time being I have no issues backing up manually to a second drive AND an external USB2.0 drive.

• 4 weeks later...

im in the process of building a new 1TB array in raid 0. consisting of a pair of 500 gig SATA II 3.0gbs WD caviar drives w/16mb cache. Ill be posting results later this afternoon. also gonna redo my 500gig hitachi array later tomarrow.