Opteron 165 vs 170 ...and which monitor?

Fogel

Most defiantly get the raptors if you have the money it will decrease your load times on games. I just upgraded my brother’s rig from 2 x Hitachi 80 in Raid0 to 1 Raptor 150 X and he saw big improvement when loading maps in BF2. He just got another one so I am going to install it and reload it and use Raid0.

His rig specs after I finish the upgrade is:

A8N32-SLI with Opt170 @ 2.6 water cooled (dangerden)

7800GT XFX @ 490/1350

2 x 1gig OCZ EL 3200 2-3-2-5

2 x Raptor 150 X (one is X edition other is plain)

1 x 320gig SATA Seagate for backup drive

Lite-on DVD-RW

See I don’t have that kind of money so I got 4 x 80gig Hitachi’s 2 come from upgrading friends rigs….lol

Look at these links they give good Idea about how they perform. Ever puts them up against SCSI's but I mainly looked at the game loading times.

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.asp...cleid=776&cid=4

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/2006...1500ADFD_3.html

why get raptor?

if your that 'rich' then its ok.. but hitachi's in raid can do the job..

and dont just get the raptor... what happens if one of the drive fails? you lose ALL your data..

The Hitachi is more within my budget, but I'll find a way to pay for the Raptors, believe it. There are kids in my neighborhood making AT LEAST $150 a day just selling soda, so yah... there are ways of coming up with the money. Its just an effort thing. Work your tail off and earn the money, npnp.

I got an external HDD. I don't really have any files I don't mind losing and the ones I slighty care about I store on offline media. That way if my computer crashes, eh no biggie. :)

4. Go for the stacker you won't be sorry! I'm not... and I initially wanted the Armor!

Well... until your response, no one had responded to the question so I ordered it on the 21st. From all the reviews I have seen, it looks like both cases are quite popular so I'm praying its one of those "you can't go wrong with either" kinda deals. :)

Most defiantly get the raptors if you have the money it will decrease your load times on games. I just upgraded my brother’s rig from 2 x Hitachi 80 in Raid0 to 1 Raptor 150 X and he saw big improvement when loading maps in BF2. He just got another one so I am going to install it and reload it and use Raid0.

His rig specs after I finish the upgrade is:

A8N32-SLI with Opt170 @ 2.6 water cooled (dangerden)

7800GT XFX @ 490/1350

2 x 1gig OCZ EL 3200 2-3-2-5

2 x Raptor 150 X (one is X edition other is plain)

1 x 320gig SATA Seagate for backup drive

Lite-on DVD-RW

See I don’t have that kind of money so I got 4 x 80gig Hitachi’s 2 come from upgrading friends rigs….lol

Look at these links they give good Idea about how they perform. Ever puts them up against SCSI's but I mainly looked at the game loading times.

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.asp...cleid=776&cid=4

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/2006...1500ADFD_3.html

Thanks much - That definitely helps me out! Especially since I was considering the Hitachi after so many recommended them. Think 74GB is good enough for me tho ...with the 150's being a whopping $116 more. :eek: Though the 150s sure make the 74s look puny by comparison though ...even if the 74s aren't slouches either.

My map load times in BF2... SUCK! And as we know, in BF2 that can make a difference... so yah, I either need to get 2 raptors or 4 hitachi.

Picked my monitor, so now the only question left is:

Opteron 165 ($327) or 4600 when the price drops to $301?

The bad side about the 4600 is that its L2 Cache is only 2x512mb, though stock it runs at 2.4Ghz. Wonder if anyone who knows what they are doing has tried OCing one of these. Anyone have any thoughts?

Did you get that 7800GT ages ago or was it a new buy?

Instead of the TT Big Typhoon -you could try a XP-120 / Scythe Ninja -all depends if you want a tower heatsink or one that will cool your surrounding mosfets etc. Personally I would go for the XP/SI-120 over the other two. Might block one of your PCI-E x16 slots though.

Definitely wait until mid-July if you're still going for an AMD system -price cuts of 50% are just too good to pass up. Hell, I'm still curious why you went the 939 route seeing as thats gonna cut off your upgrade path for the future but I guess you wanted a DFI board now

Thats answered in my Useless Chatter section, but i'll go ahead and give out some more details. I bought some RAM and the 7800 last December on a complete wim and incomplete thoughts. The graphics card does not work with my current msi mobo b/c it is PCI-e.

The DDR ram is going to be completely useless post s939. The graphics card is just going to continue to depreciate. Both were a lot of money back then. I didn't realize my mistake right away b/c I was traveling a lot and I been moving around. I should be at this base for awhile so feel a little settled atm. Which means I finally had the chance to think about install and when i did i realized my mistake ...FAR too late to return. So now I'm stuck... its either call my losses (big ones at that) or spend even more money to use what i got now.

If I wasn't building this 'puter, I wouldn't even think about Conroe or AM2. Both are in infant stages. From my perspective its pretty stupid to go with Conroe or AM2 for a year + unless you just got money to burn and need the newest tech. The tech is too new and neither side is showing what they can do yet. Its like a fighting match, they're throwing light punches to feel out their opponent. The other companies (especially mobo companies) haven't even had the chance to refine their products to support those chips yet.

So I'm praying the rig I'm about to build will at least last me well enough for a few/couple years. In a way, its actually a good time to build a computer b/c of the price drops. The hard part (and its hard) is waiting that long. :P

If I wasn't building this 'puter, I wouldn't even think about Conroe or AM2. Both are in infant stages. From my perspective its pretty stupid to go with Conroe or AM2 for a year + unless you just got money to burn and need the newest tech.

Actually AM2 and 939 are the same price for mobo/CPU/memory (ok, DDR2 is a little bit more ).

But yes, you are right its in in the infant stages which always feels risky. However, you could always consider a Nforce 4 AM2 board (blends the mature Nforce 4 technology with AM2)? To me Conroe seems even more "infant" than AM2. Heck I don't even think serious mobos for Conroe are even out except for the intel "Bad Axe" one. That one I would definitely wait on like you say.

The reason I sold off my brand new 2GB OCZ PC4000 platinum kit was because I wanted AM2 so I could have something to look forward to when 65 nm was released. I'll get a 2 GB OCZ PC6400 kit for about the same money in the meantime.