Sign in to follow this  
roystont5038

Pls give procedure for upgrading to Dual Core CPU.

Hi,

I now propose to upgrade my CPU to the AMD Athlon X2 dual core 4800+ CPU.

I believe that much more is involved than simply pulling out the existing single core CPU, dropping in the double core CPU - and good to go. I think files, drivers, fixes, and clean installing Windows XP may be needed, amongst others.

Will you please give me a procedure, or a link, for upgrading to a dual core processor on my DFI LP nF3 UT Ultra-D motherboard.

Many thanks

roystont5038.

fresh install and new processor is what i would recommend

or for the long version

-Backup all your files

-shut down the computer

-drop in the processor

-reinstall windows

-restore all backed up files

-welcome to the land of dual cores.

someone let me know if i missed anything....

You may have to install the dual core amd drivers and a patch for windows. I did when i first got my x2 and had nothing but problems so i reinstalled windows again without the drivers and now im running fine.

If I were going to do this, I would clear CMOS after installing the cpu and load Optimized Defaults, reboot, then go back to the BIOS to manaully set the cpu and RAM to stock settings. I don't think that a full re-install of XP is necessary if you already have a decent existing XP install, however, you should do the dual core "fix" as outlined by the previous poster.

Hi,

I now propose to upgrade my CPU to the AMD Athlon X2 dual core 4800+ CPU.

I believe that much more is involved than simply pulling out the existing single core CPU, dropping in the double core CPU - and good to go. I think files, drivers, fixes, and clean installing Windows XP may be needed, amongst others.

Will you please give me a procedure, or a link, for upgrading to a dual core processor on my DFI LP nF3 UT Ultra-D motherboard.

Many thanks

roystont5038.

You chose a good CPU. I have had great performance from mine. Games run just like I had hoped.

If it were me, I would definitely do a clean install of WinXP. I simply feel more confident that things are not corrupted that way.