Sign in to follow this  
DeltaSniper203

thinking of getting a Opteron

Well I was going to get a dual core opteron but I saw reviews for them at newegg.com and

one reviewer said:

"Only drawback is the 9x multi but if you have a good mainboard it's not an issue. I do have to run a fierce ram divider thoguh but I still get 5700mbs of memory bandwidth.

Reviewed By: Kool64, 6/4/2006 3:05:19 PM"

so i was curious if my board can take the 9x multi or what the limit is cause i tried that with my 4000+ and i ran into some issues, is there a limit to how high you can go?

the limit is PER CPU. it depends on what CPU you buy, nothing else.

depends which opteron you buy, usually, the pricer they are, they more MHZ they come with @ stock and Higher Multi.

Guest caffeinejunkie

That person who posted that review is right to a point. Youd be hard pressed to find a dfi board that wont do atleast 330-350fsb and most will do into the 400s. But if you have an MSI, GIGABYTE, ASUS, or ABIT then theres a good chance the board would limit you if it cant handle high fsb. This is based off my experience w/ these manufactures back w/ sktA and their early 939 boards so they could be better now.

Yea that guy either didn't have a good board or he didn't tweak it enough to work at higher speeds. I'm running at 300x9 on a CFX3200-DR with a 166 divider and scoring 7000ish in everest memory read.

I'm not very experienced with the infinity boards but I feel it's safe to say that you won't run into any high HTT problems on any nf4 DFI board.

I'm running at 300x9 on a CFX3200-DR with a 166 divider....

Yeah I've got 290x9 right now (more details in sig) and am currently running memtest (2 hours so far) with the 166 divider. Heck, even with a 100 divider, performance was greatly improved over stock 1.8GHz! Windows bootet for me at 300x9, but failed a dual Prime almost immediately. I bumped up the voltage but it was running pretty warm, so I set it back down to stock voltage and backed off the FSB/HTT. I tried 312x9 (2808MHz) just for the heck of it, and my mobo didn't have problems with it, but apparently there wasn't enough voltage for the cpu. Moral of the story is don't worry about the 9x multiplier - it's not a big problem. DFI boards can go high on the FSB/HTT.

Sign in to follow this