Sign in to follow this  
Raeth

Endless Reboot

This morning, I installed and was running System Mechanic. - optimizing my system, getting rid of unneeded stuff, etc....and eventually, it asked me to reboot my system so that the changes could go into effect.

I restart my system and go off to do my own thing for a bit, thinking that I'll come back and everything will be working nice and smooth. 20 mins later, I come back to my computer and the system is still rebooting. It keeps going all the way to the screen that says Windows XP x64, loading all the bars, and then before actually loading into xp, reboots. I thought perhaps there was a problem with my restart function, so I turned off the system for a while and then turned it back on. Same thing. I'm not really sure what's going on, but I'm thinking something in system mechanic might have deleted a file that should not have been deleted.

I had also been downloading some things right before rebooting, but my CA EZarmor firewall/virus checker didn't notice anything wrong with any of the files I downloaded. I noticed nothing suspicious until I restarted.

So I need some help now. Do I have to reinstall windows, or is this a problem someone else has experience with or has heard about?

I did search for endless rebooting problems, and I found that there can be problems with RAID 0 and endless reboots, but since my system has been running smoothly for about a month now with RAID 0, I highly doubt that the problem lies there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Raeth

Thank you both for the responses.

Calvintang -- Umm, whatever I did, it was in windows (through System Mechanic), unless something else happened at initial reboot.

Oceanborn -- That's a good idea, but my system won't reboot into safe mode either.

looks like a format is your only option then. I'd say to try the windows repair thing, but it takes just as long as a fresh install and doesnt always get rid of the problem.

NO! Don't reformat just yet...there's a last ressource..

keep pressing F8 before windows loads and it should prompt you with a boot menu....choose "last known good configuration" and see if that helps.....

System mechanic strikes again. I used to love this program when I first got a PC.

If anything it makes you very quick at reinstalling windows.

Most of these programs do things that you can do yourself with a few extra clicks here and there, and they nearly always do something they shouldnt.

The best utility in XP Pro has is already there its called "gpedit.msc" from your RUN command. Its pretty much all that you need.

If the F8 thing doesnt work I would just reinstall also

Tuneup utilities 2006 doesn't seem to break anything ever for me, when it's doing it's regcleaning magic etc.

Hi,

I decided to try and go with a system repair from CD instead of a full reformat, but now I'm having another problem. During installation of XP, my system keeps hanging at 34 minutes. I suspect this might have something to do with my antivirus software, but since I can't access Windows at all, I have no way to go in and disable the software so that I can continue with my installation.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks.

Raeth

P.S. Branjo -- Good to know I'm not the only one silly enough to kill Windows like this. :) In the future, I'll probably stick to simpler things like gpedit or learn to do things the hard way.

Man when I first got a computer I knew nothing and I tried every utility that said it would make my PC faster, needless to say I learned how to reinstall my Operating system on the 3rd day...lol. Thing is you have to make these mistakes inorder to learn from them as I did.

A very smart thing to do after you get up and running again is get some good backup software and make some bootable CD's of your operating system drive with all drivers and settings the way you want them, then you have nothing holding you back from trying all these utilities. Backup software will install your windows in like 5-10 mins, beats the hell out of installing XP. I recently got Acronis True Image and its a great backup utility, Shame i didnt get something like it way back in the day. so many unnecessary headaches.

Hey Branjo,

Thanks for the advice. I really need to make some backups, like you said.

I just reinstalled everything from scratch, but I installed normal Windows XP Professional this time (as opposed to the 64 bit version, which I had tried as a trial version), and I'm suspecting the problem this time relates to my firewall. After installing it, and then rebooting, XP stopped being able to load fully. It either froze at "loading personal preferances" after clicking on the name I wanted to log into, or it froze when I entered the account. The mouse would still move around, but no application would load. Also, if you didn't choose a name soon enough after booting the computer, you would no longer be able to click on them at all.

Sometimes, after loading into XP, while waiting for the applications to open (which they never did) an error message came up saying something like about how EZ firewall was waiting for something to load (I should have written it down, but for now, I have nothing more specific, sorry). Nothing happened if I pressed ctrl-alt-delete or even if I tried to shut down my computer from Windows. The only thing that worked was the restart button on the case.

This time, my computer at least loads when I try to go to safe mode, but now it seems to be freezing if it goes into the screensaver at safe mode.

Honestly, I don't know if this is the firewall/antivirus software. But the reason I initially installed the trial version of WinXP x64 is because something similar happened when I first installed my normal XP, right after installing this firewall/antivirus software. Then, in 64-bit, the firewall was incompatible, so if my firewall causes problems I never got to test it out with that.

I really do not know what to do. I have actually installed Windows or gotten 2/3rds of the way though with a Windows installation about 6X now. Not to mention the time spent reinstalling all the different programs, applications, drivers, trying to troubleshoot and fix problems, etc. All this in about a month.

I really am enjoying learning, but I feel like it's just getting rediculous now. The system mechanic thing was my fault, but I don't know what I oculd have possibly done wrong this time.

Sorry for the rant. Can anyone help me out this time?

Thanks a lot.

yeah thats why I dont use the 64bit XP, cause no firewalls yet, Zonealarm ran one in beta test but it was buggy as all hell. tiny have a 64bit now but its like 99 bucks so screw that.

EZ is just ZoneAlarm lite, I think the best free combination for Firewall and Anti Virus is Zone Alarm Free ( www.zonelabs.com ) and AVG free. ( www.grisoft.com ).

Ok so are you having trouble installing XP 32bit version or 64bit?