Sign in to follow this  
UberIcarus

Problem and warning about refurbs on newegg.com

Got a refurbished bare board from Newegg.com. This pissed me off enough as when you look under their FAQ it does not say that "open box" means either "Refurbished" nor "bare board". I'm thinking it's a general return or the like. In any event, it never ever posted. And as far as I can tell it succeeded in frying two power supplies including an Antec Stealth 520w. It was also missing the debug LED alltogether. I could never get it to go beyond the motherboard getting a yellow light.

I'm doing a return on it, and hopefully I'll have better luck with a new board.

Caveat Emptor.

Guess I got lucky. My newegg refurb 250gb works just great! Sorry about your situation though, hope it gets worked out soon.

open box generally means that someone had it before and it was opened/used. and yes newegg does have a disclaimer when you go to check out. They clearly state the risks of purchasing open box components. Just file for rma and it should get taken care of.

They state in that disclaimer and other places that accessories pictured may not be included in refurb/open box items. I got a refurb board that didn't have anything but the board and a pice of styrofoam included, not even the I/O shield. I was prepared for that since I saw the disclaimer, also I only paid $40 for a $70 board so I am cool with it.

Mine was the same, but at least it works. I was sad about the I/O shield, though, since thats not something I have lying around the house.

I tend to stay away from refurbs, but I imagine with LanParty boards the odds are that it was just too much board for the average person or they just didn't have the right peices to make it work. Still I would rather have one sealed.

NewEgg does a disclaimer, but if you call them, 90% of time they will be nice.
Ive experienced that myself.. I once ordered the wrong part and was ready to do the online return thingy that charges a restocking fee.. But I decided to call in and it ended up that they credited back the full amount and were very easy to deal with..

As for refurbs.. I try to avoid them no matter what the item is.. I would much rather buy something from someone in the forums to save some cash..

I've had a refurb problem before...

I ordered an Asus A8n SLi Premium for 93 dollars... When i recieved it there were traces of thermal paste on the socket itself, looks like the last person to use it, used too much....

Needless to say, I cleaned it up, and fired it. powered, but no POST.

Originally going to pay restocking, but emailed them, and they waived the fee's.

Similar thing happened to my friend, excet his motherboard didn't even work at all.

(both from Newegg)

I will never buy refurb from Newegg again, but I certainly love their store because I order it , and one day later, i get the product. <3 Socal.

I tend to stay away from refurbs, but I imagine with LanParty boards the odds are that it was just too much board for the average person or they just didn't have the right peices to make it work. Still I would rather have one sealed.

this is about 100% correct

99% of all the boards returned to vendors that are returned unchecked to DFI are working just fine...this was such a huge problem that newegg and other vendors almost refused to carry our boards anymore

dfi-street forum has helped, as well as us proving to newegg that all of the returns are actually working just fine...so newegg is ok with you returning your board for something else since they make 15% restocking fee on it.

Just a reminder that all parts are sent back to the manufacturer to be refurbished. New egg is not to blame. They do not just tape the box back up and send it back out to another customer.

If you ever have any issues new egg will waive the stocking fee and stuff.

I have bought a few refurbs from them and never had a bad experience.

Just below the link to enter the "Open Box" area.

Newegg.com does not test any product, including Open Box items. Open Box components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS. Open Box items are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. These products are sold considerably under cost.

Its pretty clear .... after you click on checkout...

IMPORTANT!

Your order contains a open box product(s). Please read the following before you proceed:

Newegg.com does not test any product, including open box items. Open Box items therefore are only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to varying qualities between manufacturers, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS.

Open Box merchandise are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. The products are sold considerably under cost. Newegg.com guarantees all open box products for 15 days only. CPUs, however, only have 7 days for refund. All open box items are considered OEM "barebone" parts.

Barebone means Newegg.com can only guarantee the item by itself, and no other accessories. No matter what the product description says, open box products may not have all the other accessories normally shipped with a new product. Newegg.com is limited to the barebone part of the item itself. Do not be upset or surprised if your open box product does not contain any cables, adaptor, manual, CD, drivers, fan, etc. Newegg.com will not send you any missing accessories, even if it is an essential part.

While Newegg.com does not like to discourage sales, only the experienced PC enthusiast should purchase open box items and know how to deal with missing accessories. Only buy open box products if you are willing to resolve defects and/or know how to find missing accessories.

Open Box products do have a considerably higher return rate than brand new items. If you are just looking to get a good deal, please only buy new products.

YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING OPEN BOX PRODUCTS.

You might wanna check the for sale thread. You can probaly get a board cheaper than a refurb.

Sign in to follow this