Building A Beowulf System

Propane

how hard would it be to do this? I would like to create one (i have around 10 computers from the government dpt. of defense) and was wondering how much skill a project like that would take

That is certainly a very ambitious project, what direct benefit would you achieve? (other than reduce the quantity of keyboards & monitors)? you could run folding on them, and use the switching arrangement, to check in on the systems from time to time.... what did you have in mind?

Lastly, excuse my ignorance, but why is it called a Beowulf system, isn't that some Sci-fi series?

Good luck if you attempt it though.... post some results/pictures B)

Edited by tazwegion

Lastly, excuse my ignorance, but why is it called a Beowulf system, isn't that some Sci-fi series?

you mean Airwolf :D

dont see a point, i mean yeah if your running a single extra computer as a server tehna KVM swtich (keyboard mouse monitor box thing) is sensible but whydo it with 10 computers? what the hell woudl any of us be doing that requires 10 cpus

you mean Airwolf :D

Nah! I really did mean Beowulf.....

I saw the movie cover @ the video store, it stars Christopher Lambert, of Highlander fame, you know, the immortals - "for there can be only one...." :P

dont see a point, i mean yeah if your running a single extra computer as a server tehna  KVM swtich (keyboard mouse monitor box thing) is sensible but whydo it with 10 computers? what the hell woudl any of us be doing that requires 10 cpus

Distributed computing.... [email protected] (protein folding simulation) we've got a team here @ OCC that'd be one way of upping your score.... without the hassle of 16 or 10, monitors & keyboards etc.

Actually, the Beowoulf movie with Christopher Lambert was pretty good... It was really a warped version of the Epic, but I liked it.

As far as building a Beowulf Cluster... kinda of jumping head first into the extreamly deep end, aren't ya? IMO, you shouldn't attempt to build a Beowulf cluster, until you have a greater understanding of Linux. - One of the reasons I haven't attempted it.