Sign in to follow this  
edjahman

Conroe Question

Before you dis Alienware remember I am one of your comrades (I hope):

size.jpg

dsc00514custom6lf.th.jpg

My Alienware has a DFI mobo.

dsc00672custom4cl.th.jpg

i seriously think you need to consider the rules since you have been a member for long enough to have read them more than a few times...

The Conroe will run on the Intel 975 chipset on boards that are constructed to support the Conroe.

The fact that she's already got her rig means it's highly unlikely that you can simply swap the processor even with a BIOS update.

and on certain 865i chipsets :) ...but still conroe must be supported from the beginning....just see the asus bad axe motherboard..only the rev. 304 can be used with conroe...no other revisions.

i seriously think you need to consider the rules since you have been a member for long enough to have read them more than a few times...

Happy,

I'm guessing Darth edited / resized after your reply post, but I figured I would ask for clarification:

Is it ok to have thumbs linked to full size pics, even if the linked pics are greater than 800x600 (as the post currently reflects)?

My wife has an Alienware, (I Know.) that has a 3 ghz. Prescott LGA775 proc. and I noticed that the Conroes are gonna be socket 775 also. Do any of you think I would be able to put one of those baby's in her Alien???

Thanks.

--EJM

most likely not becuase of hte different power architecture needed for two very different cpus

your prescott is a 90nm and the Conroe will be a 65nm with very different architecture

most boards it was assumed would only need a bios update but we are finding out that most boards, even with the correct microcode, just aren't setup properly to deliver the cpu proper power in ways that it needs

I could be wrong however...but so far I haven't seen a board that was built pre-Conroe that can just accept a Conroe with a bios flash (even the Asus boards need a certain revision of hardware...1.03g I think...any previous revision won't accept one)

Happy,

I'm guessing Darth edited / resized after your reply post, but I figured I would ask for clarification:

Is it ok to have thumbs linked to full size pics, even if the linked pics are greater than 800x600 (as the post currently reflects)?

links to pictures can be any size since it is just a link

like this one

The official name isn't any better. Core 2 Solo or Duo. You would think as CPU's became stronger they would get better names.

Who names these cpu's? Conroe.I have a Conroe yuk
The official name isn't any better. Core 2 Solo or Duo. You would think as CPU's became stronger they would get better names.

Intel had, for a very long time, code named their processors for rivers. Think Willamette and Kalamath. This was because they code named the processors after locations near where the chips were designed.

Intel has used Biblical references for the Pentium M series since they were designed at the Intel facility in Israel.

In recent years they've changed things up quite a bit to slow the leaks of information to the Internet.

Here's a partial list for the ones I can remember in no particluar order and please excuse any spelling errors...

Dothan - town in Alabama, USA

Grantsdale - town in Massachusetts, USA

Alderwood - lake in Wisconsin, USA

Caswell - lake in Mississippi, USA

Tejas - Indian tribe name for Texas

Merced- river in California, USA

Klamath - river in Oregon, USA

Willamette - river in Oregon, USA

Coppermine - river in Canada

Katmai - river in Alaskan, USA

Deschutes - river in Oregon, USA

Deerfield - river in Massachusetts, USA