Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shadowarez_merged

Video Thermal grease,

Guest Shadowarez

sweet thiers a place for this lol,

heres what i need info on, i have had issues with replacing the chalky white stuff that coems with vid cards in the past and present, is their a safe way of changin that without having to rma the cards?

heres what i did for the first card,

Geforce 4600 Ultra Deluxe (a fews years ago $650)

1, Remove the 1lb copper heatsink,

2,clean the GPU with Qtip-Rubbing alcohol,

3,use AS3 with tiny acrylic brush to evenly place it,

4,did same for the ram, used it sparingly, not enough to make it all goop over,

5,reseat the heatsink,

6,reinstall into system,

7,boot windows,

try to play Day of Defeat and well nothing but purple/blue horisontal lines throughout the game and eventually no signal,

new card BFG 6600GT OC+Dfi lanparty SLI-DR Expert,

did the same as above cept this time when i took the heatsink off thier was hardly any grease between the gpu and heatsink, so i apply a grain of sand size of as 5 and use a acrylic brush with a minute brush head, to help with spreading,

boot windows. load up wow system crash, restart load up wow again scroll down the agreement for 1.5 seconds crash, restart load up Halflife 2 Deathmatch, loads, plays for 5 seconds models turn white crashes,

check Bios settings, everythign is stock, restart gtry again system runs stable as long as no 3D apps or games run, anything requiring 3D and i get a freeze or crash, heres what iv tryed,

1,setting mem clock to 400, gpu to 950. instead of 1050, freeze,crash, restart,

2.lowered the gpu to 600, same problem,

3,cleaned off the AS5 found some crappy oem white stuff, put that back on same issue.,

4,called BFG Tech, appreantly BFG and DFI have a habbit of not working togther according to them,

what i wanted to know is will this always happen? what am i doing wrong, is their a procedure to repalce that crappy grease when changing to a decent afte market cooler?

Well I have 2 BFG 7800 gt oc running @ 475x1300 in sli so if you ask me it's another phantom 7900 problem. The thing about removing the heatsinks is not a problem unless you somehow created a static charge while removing or replacing the card, their is always a chance of this unless you make sure you are properly grounded, wore one of those wrist grounds or simply touch your case before removing the card. And don't work on your card while standing on carpet wearing only socks rubbing a balloon on your head [just kidding] but static electricity can cause problems. Is your card seated well? Everything plugged in? No AS5 on anything but the chip. I don't know if this has helped at all but since know one else has answered yet I thought I would at least give you some food for thought. fabe

Guest Shadowarez

yeah were i put the comp theirs only cement, i used a wristguard and a latext glove (over preped lol) and i only put AS5 on the gpu and ram, and it was only enough to cover the gpu ram, nothing more was added as top make it spill over when the heatsink went back on, its sittin like it should no sag, i even have a pci duel fan card that takes has about 68 cfms of power taking taking and blowing cold air on the heatsink,

a lot of people seem to reccomend using arctic ceramique instead of AS5 on GFX cards, ceramique is safer because it's non conductive, and non capacitive

i have personally used AS5 on the gfx core without a problem, but never needed to on the memory

Using as5 is fine for the core, so long as your a bit careful, but on the memory chips it's a bad idea. It's conductive, and in your case it may well have shorted a couple (or more) of the little leggy thingys on the side of the chip.

Use isopropal alchol, or a similar pcb safe solvent to clean it off, and maybe your little brush and a magnifying glass to clean it from any contact points it may be interfering with. Arctic ceramic is what most recommend for the memory chips:)

Hope this helps.

Guest Shadowarez

ahh okay thank ya, i was very carefull not to put too much on the mem chips, ill use the ceramique on the ram, lol i have a jewelers magnifying glass with a floresent light i made sure not a drop touched the leads on the ram, but ill take your advice and stick with what works, the 6600gt i didnt put any as5 on the ram, no ramsinks, and it still crapped out on me,

but it could have been a bad card to begin with the store i bought it form dont have a test system with pci-e so its been 4 weeks and they havent said anything, i cleaned the gpu with isopropal alchol (rubbing alcohol) lol and it came very clean, im lookin at gettin refund and buying one of those risky evga 7900gts for $299, hell ifi can sli that cheap ill try