Sign in to follow this  
cedman

SLI-DR Expert: even higher temperatures after replacing NB cooler (Tit

yesterday i replaced the very noisy chipset cooler of my expert board by this one:

Titan TTC-CUV2AB/RHS.

the good thing is: the NB is quiet now - the bad thing is, that its even hotter than before!

according to smart guardian and everest i have 50-52°C in idle - even if i speed up the fan of the titan to the max i can't get it below 47°C ! with the standard cooler i was able to cool it down below 40°C...

well there must be something wrong with the (my) installation. if you follow the link above you can see that the cooler comes with 4 mounting clips in different sizes, which are:

52.0, 54.8, 59.0 and 79.8mm

i measured ~54mm for the space between the mounting holes on the expert board, so i took the 54.8mm clip. i also used the thermal paste that came with the cooler itself (which surely isnt the best...)

did anyone else install this cooler on a SLI-DR board? maybe i took the wrong clip? because if i had to unmount the titan again, i'd have to uninstall my whole computer. to explain: as lazy as i am, i just cut off the plastic pins of the standard chipset cooler instead of unmounting them properly (saved me ALOT of time) - but if i do this again, i wont have any spare pins to mount it again :D

thx for your help!

I had have that cooler laying around here.It's the biggest piece of crap I have seen.The performance is bad.A few round. fins that are made of some alloy and a fan that barely blows.

I had have that cooler laying around here.It's the biggest piece of crap I have seen.The performance is bad.A few round. fins that are made of some alloy and a fan that barely blows.

well i've seen people suggesting this cooler in this forum - i first wanted to get the evercool which everyone seems to love, but the problem is that its totally unavailable near switzerland. so i found this titan for ~10$ and gave it a try. if nobody can give me a positive feedback or infos about the mounting, i'll have to find this highly praised evercool somewhere...

and tbh, this titan cooler indeed makes a very crappy impression...

The vc-re is probably the best active cooler for the NB.

for fanless, there are a lot of odd solutions out there and a lot of normal ones like the zalman above. I was actually thinking about putting a zalman on my nf3 i just got. havent got around to it yet though.

If you want clearance and easy SLI upgrade / changes without pain, VC-RE is the only way to go for decent cooling and still quiet.

The functional alternative is the Jing Ting adjustable unit, better cooling than VC-RE, moveable radiator section, but clearance issues with SOMETHING if you're running SLI and a bunch of drives in MOST cases on DFI NF4 boards.