Attempting to move one HDD's info to another HDD

Thraxz

I recently built a computer for my mom, and she gave me a ridiculously vague stimpulation that all of her "stuff, would have to be tranferred to the new computer." Sweet. Tranferring documents is a cinch.... on NOOOooo.

She wants her entire desktop perfectly mantained and all of her programs transferred over exactly how they were.

Is there any way to take all of that off of the old HDD and put it on the new one? Both have XP home and are 32 bit. I've tried booting off of the old HDD and it simply will not boot past the initial windows loading screen before a BSOD and reboot.

I can't say if this will work because I haven't tried it yet. I have been told that if you use a proram like Norton Ghost to copy everything form your old drive to your new one, you can then use SYSPREP to get it to work on your new computer. SYSPREP is a free download from the Microsoft website. It strips out everything that assosiates that copy of XP with the computer it was originally installed in. Now the first time you run it in your new computer, it will load all the proper drivers and it's up and running just like it was in the old computer.

There's also the files and settings transfer wizard, which seems perfect for what you are trying to do. making an image might not be ideal if the hardware isnt identical, as it'll also copy all the old drivers etc.

More info on the files and settings transfer wizard http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/mgrtfset.mspx

The best way to get you desired result is to clone the data to the new drive using ghost

You will get an unmountable boot volume error so then boot off the xp cd and use the repair option....the second "r" that is...after you hit f8 to agree to the terms.

Then just go and install the drivers for ya new hardware

Cheers