Gx2

edjahman

I have the option to step-up my 7900 gtx's to gx2's for about 140$ for both. I already have the quad sli psu. I game at 1600 x 1200 res.

What do you guys think about the gx2's? They sound interesting. I suppose if I we're to buy a giant monitor someday and the games supported super high res. then it may be ok huh?

Thanks for your opinions.

--EJM

I saw a review a couple of days ago, I am really really working to find it. I can't reamember the site, but it used a BFG 7950GX2, they tested one, then tried two. They said that in certain situations they could "force" SLI, but it only worked for FEAR and BF2, all the other games didn't work yet. Hopefully a new drive will be out soon. I thoght that the beta version of 91.31 supported it, but it doesn't work quite right yet.

There is no doubt that it is the most poweful single card on the market right now, but without any offical quad SI support it gets burned by a X1900XT Crossfire or a 7900GTX SLI. If I where you I would do it just so that I would have that option in a month (hopefully less), quad SLI should be very powerful. Otherwise your dual 7900's ATM are going to tear it apart, so in the end it is up to you I guess.

Just keep two things in mind. 1.: This is just the tip of the iceburg for Quad SLI/(Crossfire). G80 will undoubtably blow this out of the water. I guess though you can't go on that, if you keep waiting because the future tech will beat the now, then you will never upgrade,, you will always wait. 2.: the real advantage of Quad SLI isn't going to start until you hit 1600x1200 with full AA and AF. At lower res it is on par, but a little above 7900GTX SLI and X1900 Crossfire. That is unless you decide to enable 32x Quad AA. Just some things to consider.

according to Nvidia, only the infinity DFI board suppports gx2. Any word/update on this?

I was hoping to upgrade my evga 7900gt to a gx2, but with a UT sli-dr I dont even know if thats possible.

I wouldnt do it....It seems like there isnt total support for it yet and it seems as if its a little too much and a little bit of performance gain at this point, if its your only chance to get ti this cheap then go for it and wait out the performance issues....4 is always better than 2 right? As long as all 4 are working...