Sign in to follow this  
Branjo

Has anyone had any success with Nlite

Guest caffeinejunkie

Nlite is awesome. Ive got a few different custom instals I use but my main one is an sp2 w/ chipset, marvell, and omegas at about 130mb un-compressed ISO. I initially started using it for the un-attended instal because I hated either waiting to hit the few dialog boxes or leaving and forgetting coming back hours later to realize the instal still has 30 some minutes because it needs to know the date lol.

Im not really concerned about getting it small anymore on the contrary I want it big maybe enough to fill a DVD. I just keep all the features of XP but I would like to be able to get it to install all drivers and all the software i use and maybe some games too. I only really use a few utilities like a good defrag program, firewall and AV and whatever game I play the most (BF2) so it would be nice to comeback to a fresh install of XP and just start as I left off.

granted a backup image would do the same thing but the image copies any mistakes you may have made or damaged system files that might throw up an error later on.

nothing like a fresh install for me

for installing programs check out wpi windows post install wizard much easier to configure than writing .batch or .cmd files and you can listen to tunes while it installs. takes a little getting used to but works better than any of the other ones ive tried. very nice to set up clients computers with as you can keep your base install disk the same and edit out the programs they dont use.

I've been playing with nlite for quite some time now and it keeps getting better with each version, I can't even call it a toy now, it has become a tool for me. Integrated drivers and post SP2 update packs save so much time, I was having a bit of a hard time integrating themes and silent installs. HERE is where I first started learning about unattended installs.

>>this is completly off topic<<

i just saw something that made me chuckle a little bit. im reading that guide that you linked to in the first post, and was looking thought it and one of the links went to the microsoft website. it is funny because even microsoft uses firefox and ditched their crappy IE..check it out here

Yep i remember reading through that whole thing and learning all the basics. I cant remember the last install i did attended lol. most of my clients builds i get the disk ready before i even have the parts to put it together, just makes life easier on me that way.

anyone have any luck creating an nlite cd slipstreamed with raid drivers and installing successful with a USB CD-ROM? I get all the way to final reboot of installation and then BSOD. I'm wondering if it can't be done with a USB cd-rom. It's running fine when i do the install using F6 and load from a floppy.

Is there any way to use an Autopatcher install for all of the updates/hotfixes when setting up nLite? I have started messing around with it, but I really need to get an NAS and put all of the crap I don't want to lose (programs, saved stuff, etc.) on that, and then do a fresh install. I have pre-SP XP, SP1, and SP2, and I am always AMAZED at how fast the previous editions are compared to SP2. Can I just use SP1 with all of the patches from AutoPatcher (no SP2) since I have my own firewall and am behind a router? There's nothing else THAT important in the SP2 pack, is there?

What version of the drivers are you using, The 5.11 nvidia drivers give BSOD during the Ethernet installation, maybe this is where you are getting stuck.

If you use WinRAR and unpack the 5.10 drivers and just point nlite to the folder as a multiple driver folder. I don't think its due to your USB CDROM because if it wasn't reading it right then you wouldn't even get as far as you did.

EDIT: Apologies I assumed you were NF3. Doh!!! , If you are not installing onto a RAID array then do you really need the drivers slipstreamed? thats if all you are after is an unattended setup.