Sign in to follow this  
Branjo

Has anyone had any success with Nlite

Ive been trying to make an unattended XP disc with certain useless stuff removed,

but when I install it and boot into the administrator account everything is unusable as if im in a secondary account. I havent disabled any important stuff, just removed the games, accessability, sound recorder and setup up my start menu the way I want.

Ive been using a DVD-RW disc and its booting with no problems and installing as it should. Also having trouble with batch scripts inorder to integrate drivers and software that I want to have on the first boot. Hotfixes install without any problems but Nlite seems to pick different areas to mess up in.

After I made the ISO I opened it and checked the WINNT.SIF to see if everything looked ok and its how it should be.

I have tried

Windows Unattended CD creator, Nlite and the XP unattended setup manager (which doesnt do a damn thing BTW)

Does anyone know of a better program to use for this or any pointers for me?

Ive been using this guide

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/1/

No need to reply I worked it out, very good program.

Pop DVD in and go and make something to eat and comeback to a new streamlined XP install with preinstalled drivers ready to go.

yeah some guy got XP SP1 down to 185Mb but the links to it are dead. I have gotten mine down to 380Mb with Nvidia 5.10 and omega drivers preinstalled.

Im just trying to make the batch commands n such which is no picnic when you never had any reason to write them, but its a challenge...lol

any tips would be appreciated though.

I don't bother trying to get it down to any record low, just remove the crap that I don't like ;)

My slipstream NLite installer cd is awesome, it requires no key, and no account setup.. loads to a black background and reduced gui.. :)

I'll make another soon, there are more windows updates that my last one lacks..

I use nlite alot

currently, nlite + the microwinX beta 2.5 addon I made, my windows directory for windows xp sp2 is 50MB with all the drivers etc installed.

Thanks Null thats exactly what i was looking for...:)

gdogg im very interested in a 50mb windows folder and how you did it.

what size did the final ISO end up as? i tried downloading that file microwinX beta 2.5, how do you open it. it gives me a password. you got any direct links?

Nlite is definetly an app i want to play around with again. I remember it working out semi ok once, other times i stripped way to much out of the install and that really messed stuff up. Maybe its time to give it another shot, atm, with 1gig of ram, i only have about 780mb free right as soon as windows starts up ;P

Well I have gotten it down now to 330 Mb.ISO and compressed it with WinRAR and ended up with a 170 Mb RAR file that is burned onto a little mini disc for "just incase" storage.

Im still working on installing software, damn batch commands and switches are confusing an old dog.

In the 330mb I have SP2,All Hotfixes,Nvidia 5.10, Printer Driver and The latest Omegadrivers.

The desktop is set to boot to 1024x768x32 and the start menu is set to the way I want it

all services that I disable have been either removed or disabled via Nlite.

Removed all Languages and keyboards (70Mb), and a ton of useless drivers.

However I cant get it to install to the RAID as pressing F6 and loading the RAID drivers it gives me a warning that they couldnt be loaded from the floppy and when I skip them I get a BSOD, but I dont use my RAID for windows anymore so after first boot the 5.10 drivers show the RAID as normal.

Really liking this Nlite program.

fix for the raid,

you cant use the floopy disk method, and have an unattend install for your cd key etc.

you'd need to intergrate your drivers to do both.

about my project, its just an nlite last_session.ini and a .cab addon pack.

it does all the work for yah :D.

more user friendly betas will be comin soon.

nLite is a good program.. I use it to strip out unwanted stuff but I never took the time to intergrate drivers.. maybe someday I'll try it.