7.1 Onboard Audio with Games

Hey all

I have a 7.1 speaker system which seems to work fine for everything except games. I'm running the latest nForce audio drivers, and get 7.1 sound when using Itunes, listening to game trailers etc. When I select '7.1 speakers' in 'audio options' in games I just get 5.1 sound, with nothing coming out of the two rear speakers.

I've got Creative speakers, which only have 3 connectors for the PC instead of four, so I had to add in an extra lead to get the nVidia speaker wizard to give me the right sound from the right speakers. Okay, that's kind of a bodge, but it works fine in the wizard and in everything other than games.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem and found a way round it...

Thanks for your suggestions.

>Suspekt, I really thought the 'clone' setting would work for me but it doesn't.

The only way I can get sound out of my rear speakers in a game like say HL2 is to use the '5.1->7.1 upmix' button on the Creative box. Trouble is, that's not really solving the problem :rolleyes:

hmm, what soundcard did you say you have? what version of nVmixer?

I don't see the 5.1->7.1 upmix alternative in my nVmixer, only 5.1 and 7.1.

Note that in Windows Control Panel, Sound and Audio Settings -> Advanced

you have both 5.1, 7.1 and 7.1 wide

Maybe you can try to change from 7.1 to 7.1 wide?

The 5.1 > 7.1 upmix button is on my Creative box (the subwoofer).

Everything is as it should be in Windoze control panel (mind you, I didn't know there was a 7.1 wide setting, which will be useful one day!)

Maybe I need either: 1. A set of 7.1 speakers with four leads that fit into the four sockets on the Karajan. OR 2. A Creative sound card so that the 3-plug connector that comes with my Creative box works properly...

Oh, you had it on the Creative box :)

I can't think of anything more you could try... well maybe if there is some option in the game, like Software, Hardware, Hardware+Eax, 3D SOUND or something.

maybe the game doesnt support 7.1 only 5.1

That's a possibility. But you should get sound from all speakers if the game uses the Windows driver. If it has it's own driver maybe that is the source of the problem.