Sign in to follow this  
Cheesewheel

Need some advice regarding an important job decision...

I'm about to move into the IT department at work as a part time Data Security Analyst and part time Help Desk Technician. At the same time, a friend of my sister's offered me a job at a much larger company doing either Help Desk work or Software Testing or Systems Monitoring. I have never been in a corporate IT environment, so whichever path I go with will be my "foot in the door" so to speak, since I have no degrees yet.

I've been at my current job for 6 months now. I don't want to look like I'm just chasing the next highest pay, but at the same time this company I'm working for pays below average wages for the position I'm going into. If I go with this other company, it will be closer to where I will be living (15 minute bus ride as opposed to an hour long bus ride). The biggest problem comes in the fact that I start at the new position in my current company next Monday, so if I don't decide by then I will end up leaving a couple weeks into it and I really don't want it to happen that way.

Anyhow, any thoughts? I'm completely confused as to which way I should go :S

never never close a opened door. The what if? chance you pass up might be the limit of what you get. Even if it don’t work out. Its experience that you have had that will open another door

pays the same?

same workload?

if its similar then take the one closer to home.

what to do as a 'system monitor?' check on the employees for pron and illegal warez?

i would say check out the company your not with already an see how stable or in growth they are. you dont want to move an find theyre gonna be layin ppl off in a month! also, dont worry about lettin a company down by sayin your leaving for a better postion. every manager in the world understands that and wont hold it against you.

Dont count your chickens before they hatch. I would get the job that looks good on your rusmaie if if you only take it for a wile. I would keep the first job and give a reasonaable excuse. make it very polite that you would love to work for ____ but now is not the best time to switch becasue of job loyalty and you want to do that umcomming position in your company right now of cource. That sounds good. Franky if they have a great change of getting biugger.

My first and second choice would be to staly at least for now. Do a bang up job and get good revies. Yoow they like you there.

Sounds liek you are going with a big company being a big company isnt alwaws a good they are better at hyding debt and serious isses that could make loose your job. Make a hard eval of the company if they are gorwing have too much hidden funny financial numbers.

The bigger the company more options but also more difficult to get noticed and promoted.

i would say go with the bigger company IF ur sisters friend is in a pretty high position and seems to like you. that can mean quick advancement. i would ask her (if shes in a hiring position) if its ok to give ur present job a 2 weeks notice...then talk to them (ur present job) very professionally and see if they might offer u an even BETTER deal...if not ok...and if ur sisters friends job isnt willing to let u give a notice then forget that one. bottom line imo is go with the place u feel will treat u the best in the long run and dont quibble over $1 dollar an hour difference in pay. being close to home is a major bonus too...an hour drive sucks large donky pp :)

bottom line imo is go with the place u feel will treat u the best in the long run and dont quibble over $1 dollar an hour difference in pay. being close to home is a major bonus too...an hour drive sucks large donky pp

And an hour on the bus is like 2 hours driving :)

IT sucks no matter which area you work in (unless you live in India or Pakistan). If I were you I would pic the closest one then do whatever you have to do to get an education.

I know some of you will flame me for saying IT sucks so go for it. I worked as a senior programmer analyst for a fortune 500 company before the dot com bust and most recently as a software engineer writing software used in paper mills for a huge fortune 500 company. Thank God I had a way out because IT jobs are shipping overseas faster than prices are falling at Walmart. My best friend (who I used to work with) now has a job where he puts together software specs then outsources all the coding to India or Pakistan.

Help Desk jobs are in the same dire straights. Network analysts probably will fare the best as you cannot really substitute a live body to deal with some hardware issues.

I am hoping to go back to get my MBA this fall . . .so I can teach at a community college (yes, teach teh 13th grade).

Take the job that pays more, and costs you less in gas and wear and tear on your car. Lets face it, job security isn't what it used to be. Companies seem quick to drop employees now a days. I wouldn't really worry to much about which one looks better on your resume since most pad it anyways and few employers really check them in depth.

Then again you might be better off picking which ever job makes you happier. Go with your gut.

Verify that this a valid job offer and get the details

If it is a valid job offer--TAKE IT

1. it is closer

2. you may have help movin up with "sister's friend"

3. It's your first job, ya gonna screw up and get fired sometime, right?

4. Some people keep gettin fired or find a job they like

5. if ya hate going to work, why go?

6. If ya need reassurance making a decision, maybe ya better sleep on it another night.

I have came to realized that if a decision is keeping you up nights and asking other people what they think..... it is usually a......

1 more thing. Make sure your sister's friend cannot get ya fired as fast as she hired ya

just a thought