Sign in to follow this  
roby972

Project Burning Newark 3700+

added second stick of ram

now 1,8v at chipset and 1,45v at cpu best stable result @ 2,875 ghz

i think that up of 2,9 ghz is the limit for my cpu ...

Hey guys - I just tried out a 3700+ with the Mobile pad and was not impressed. Along with the 4x & vcore defaults and the cold boots it was just too much hassle and my HTPC case was not well ventilated. I want to try this summer with a Mobile 4000+: Has anyone tried the big typhoon w/o Mobile Pad? Does it fit in the socket to make contact with the naked core. I may try the Scythe Ninja as well.

v/r

DC

I use xp120 which you already have. You just have to modify it a little to get good contact without the mobile pad. What I did was to tape a penny beside each of the legs of the mounting plate, and then sand (I actually used a file) the legs down to the level of the penny. I also lap the xp120, but it is not worth the trouble. I would not do it again. I am running 39c idle and 44c full load @ 3.0 GHz.

You dont have to file the legs down.... you can add washers under the retension clips on both the XP-90 or 120...

I used rivet washer...2 on each side... easily done...the rivet washer are small and thick...2 of these equaled the thickness of the contact part of the IHS...

I also used rubber bumpers on the edges of the cpu to help balance the heatsink....I used one off a dead Socket A-XP cpu... but everything can be had at a local depot store...like Menards or Lowes....

I was thinking of trying to harvest the rubber spacers from my Thunderbird chip...you had no issues just resting the Typhoon on the core?

The Zalman 9700 is a decent looking sink, bugger than the 9500, and it can exhaust air directly out the rear exhaust port/fan. I may just go to Compusa and pick up all three and eye them; if the 9500 bracket will work on the 9700 and the 9700 looks like it will fit with no issues I'll use that. Otherwise, I am going to mount the BT.

thanks

DC

Can you elaborate on this? Is the XP120 flush with the naked core when you set it down in the socet , stock? Why do I need to use washers (to lift up) whereas the other poster filed down (to frop down):

"You dont have to file the legs down.... you can add washers under the retension clips on both the XP-90 or 120...

I used rivet washer...2 on each side... easily done...the rivet washer are small and thick...2 of these equaled the thickness of the contact part of the IHS...

I also used rubber bumpers on the edges of the cpu to help balance the heatsink....I used one off a dead Socket A-XP cpu... but everything can be had at a local depot store...like Menards or Lowes...."

thanks

DC