The Guitar (or other instrument) discussion

Angry_Games

Wow awsome pick I would have to agree with you on that but wait... little dolls is also one of my favs,Dime has some of my favorite solos of all time like "medicine man" from CFH then there is the slow feeling solos I love from David Gilmour

and guys like beck and clapton,god it's way to hard to pick just one solo:)

I just can't do it!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Guitar solo… an attempt to quantify art.

I had a chance to see Randy Rhoads live just a few months before he died, and you’re right, he was something special.

I Gotta go with Ichie VanWhalen’s Eruption, from the first Van Halen album, or how about Tommy Shaw’s solo in Miss America or just about anything from Alex Lifeson or Jimmy Page or Joe Satriani or Tuck Andress or….

This is a tough question

Nice rig A_G, I've been playing guitar for about 22 years now and I love EVERYTHING metal!

well almost everything:)

I've been using a digitech gen x 3 with a line 6 flextone II head and really liking the tones,

coupled with my les paul custom(my pride)and I also have a vai ibanez jem 6 string.

Just played a nice lil death metal fest in NYC with my band engorge

http://engorge.darkhorizon666.com/ENGORGE.htm

David Gilmour is just a complete master at the slow stuff. He makes that puppy emote like no one else...

Aqualung is a "classic" that's gotta rank in my top ten. Some good pickin' in that one...

Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of "Little wing"...

The guitarist from the "Cars" always did tasty little solo's. Short but tasty ;)

Guest Blooz1

Yep! Elliot Easton (?) was his name, if I remember right - left handed - he was definitely under-appreciated!

One of my all-time fav's is Eric Clapton's version of "Hideaway" by Freddie King that he did when he was a youngun' and playing with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. (I still have that album on vinyl!)

I'm suprised that there so many guitarists in the forum.

I started playing at age 13 ( a longggg time ago) played in bands for 20 years while I was in high school , military, college and med school. When I started working in my profession it just wasn't worth playing in clubs because I just didn't have time at nights and on the weekends.

I started studying jazz guitar and went from rock/blues to jazz and have continued playing and studying until now although I don't have the interest I once had.

I still have a mint Les Paul standard, Parker Fly Deluxe (suprisingly good axe) and a high end Taylor acoustic with various amps. A few years ago I had a Gibson L-5 WesMo, L-4 and couple of strats and my favorite, a mint 53 Telecaster. I sold most at really good prices.

Being a really great guitarist takes God given talent or a lifetime of hard work. It's a great art and a lifelong hobby.

I still play jazz standards in a jazz duo but have lost a lot skill.

My favorite solo is by an unknown guitarist named Roy Lanham (google the name and he has/had a website). He played an impossible solo on an old country instrumental "Steel Guitar Rag" off an album "Most exciting Guitar" There are probably no more that 20 copies of the album in the world and I have one.

Once a guitarist, always a guitarist.

:cool:

lol dude don't mock me

you hate metal :tooth:

Me mock you? NEVER!

Actually in the rock dept. I'm more of a Hendrix, Cream, Johnny Winter type of guy. I like Mick Mars cause he is a no BS kind of guy. Saw that Motley Crue Behind the Music on VH1 and Kathy and I laughed laughed our asses off. He was talking about letting his "ball bag" hang out on stage or some such.