wingspar's guide to digital cameras

Angry_Games

The D50 is probably not a good choice for the occasional shooter cuz you'll forget how to use the darned thing if you don't use it often enough :D My biggest problem with it is the focus points and it not focusing on what I want it to. You can overide it but I haven't taken the time to learn it. I have a few PC pics and you can't tell the fans are spinning...plenty capable of stopping the action.

fanblades7md.th.jpg

You can see the fan blade on the evercool as well...It's a nice camera I just need to take the time to use it to it's potential...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a short list of cams I should be looking at?

Previous poster already posted this link....Steves digicams - best cameras...

Best place to start really. Try and decide what you really need and then come crashing to earth with what you can really afford :nod: I had my head set thinking I really really wanted a Canon EOS, I think it was the 20D...Way way more than I needed and in the area of 1200 to 1600 bucks. Kept trying to win one on Ebay back in December in the 1100 range and they just kept gettin snapped up in the 1200 to 1300 range. Finally fizzled out on that obsession and moved on. Went to use my Olympus a couple of months ago and the darned thing died on me. Not worth getting serviced and good ol' Circuitcity had the D50 on sale so I snapped it up for half what I was willing to originally spend and still got way more camera than I need...Kinda like a PSU though. Better to have more than you need than to be left hangin with nothin but yer pecker left in yer hand ;)

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in megapixels...6 is plenty. Heck, even my old Oly with 2.1 was adequate....

all right I'm a total blonde loser today apparently lol

fixed it mang ;)

sorry about that

I Googled wangerin, and it’s an author with over 30 books. I don’t write so well. In fact, by the time I compose a post here at the Street, I’ve been automatically logged off.

Sometimes, megapixels don’t really mean a whole lot if the glass the camera is taking the picture thru is cheaply made. My first pro body was 2.7 megapixels, but the sensor that the photos was recorded on, combined with the expensive glass I shot thru gave me photos that would blow away a 5 megapixel point and shoot, and gave me the capability of printing 11x14's that looked great with no problem.

In other words, there’s more to a digital camera than megapixels.

A dSLR is much easier to learn and use, and more capable too. It’s not the menu driven battery hog that most point and shoots are. $300 isn’t going to get you much. Would you put an Antec 480W psu in your rig instead of a OCZ GX 700W just to save a little money, then turn around and get what you really wanted in the first place? Probably not, but the ultimate decision is yours.

There’s enough out there to choose from to make ones head spin. Don’t get too hung up on “more megapixels is better”. Look at the glass the camera shoots thru, and the type of sensor the image is recorded on. A lot of those point and shoots do very well at macro, but start to drop off as distance to subject increases.

I'll go for a Sony Cybershot DSC-H2

It have a very good price/performance ratio (6.0 Megapixel, 12X Optical Zoom, Image stabilization, AA battery, Carl Zeiss lens, ISO 80-1000, Shutter speed 30 – 1/2000 sec., ...) and cost only 400$ !!

Edited: This one is taken with my 400$ Olympus C-770UZ (4.0 Megapixel, 10X Optical Zoom, without Image stabilization)

untitled16an.jpg

Not all point and shoots have crappy lenses, some models of Nikon, Canon, and Panasonic (Leica) have excellent glass. Chromatic aberrations and barrel/pincushion distortion are really only noticeable at specific focal lengths and compositions. Read the reviews and look at the sample photos then decide based on your needs.

IMHO, a point and shoot with a live preview is really handy for casual photography, especially macro shots. I’m partial to Canon, the A620 linked to in #5 is top rated by all the experts. AA bats are easy and long lasting, and Canon uses AVI movie mode.

DSLRs are expensive, (though I have an *istD, only $500) and a PITA to carry around all day. Then there’s the issue of dust on the sensor when you change lenses, and of course no movies or live preview.

My A520 easily fits in my front pocket, the batteries last for over 300 shots and I can get 243 frames on a 512 card.

cup.jpg

I Googled wangerin, and it’s an author with over 30 books. I don’t write so well. In fact, by the time I compose a post here at the Street, I’ve been automatically logged off.

actually wangerin is another excellent DFI-Street member...

IMHO, a point and shoot with a live preview is really handy for casual photography, especially macro shots. I’m partial to Canon, the A620 linked to in #5 is top rated by all the experts. AA bats are easy and long lasting, and Canon uses AVI movie mode.

am I retarded or can I not see any A620, only the A520?

(or was this a typo on your part?) lol

I was posting after 5 beers.:O

I have a Canon A520 and a Pentax *istD, The link in #5 is for a Canon A620 at an excellent price. Check out the reviews on the A620, you can't go wrong, the only prob might be a slightly dated movie mode. The cam also comes with twain drivers for remote shooting through a USB port.

A520s are tough to find nowadays, they have been replaced by the A530 and A540 which both lost the remote capabilities and went to a physically smaller but higher density CCD (not good)

If you can find a A520 it might serve you well, but B&H and Newegg are both out of stock on last years Canons.

dragonfly.jpg

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/fz7.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a700.html

after checking out the samples page...the A700 looks like it takes better pics...I don't need all 12x zoom, 6x is more than enough I am sure (since I have the best seats at the hockey games lol)

I'm not seeing much in the way of true macro samples though...but I am pretty sure if my POS old Minolta crapola 2.3mp cam can take super macro pics that you've all seen time and again here, then any newer camera will be just as good if not better in macro mode...

this A700 is really impressive especially considering the price ($275-$350 depending on which place you shop)

still doing some more looking....but SLR's are just out of my price range and honestly I dont NEED an SLR

am I retarded or can I not see any A620, only the A520?

(or was this a typo on your part?) lol

Nope. Not retarded.

Canon PowerShot A620 Review

See this long list of alphabetical reviews of digital cameras from 2001 to current http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=alpha

Canon, Minolta, Olympus, and Nikon would be the brands I’d stick with.

EDIT: Dang. Two posts while I was composing this one. Scheeze!