Sign in to follow this  
subgenius

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D - Problems on second boot

Hi all,

I have an odd problem with my ultra-d based setup... The computer will always boot the first time, but after shutting it down and trying to start it up again, only the power LED illuminates, and the computer stays shut off. Has anyone heard of this?

Hi all,

I have an odd problem with my ultra-d based setup... The computer will always boot the first time, but after shutting it down and trying to start it up again, only the power LED illuminates, and the computer stays shut off. Has anyone heard of this?

you need a signature coz it says in the rules and how can we troubleshoot your rig if we dont know whats in it?

welcomeani.gif

To DFI-Street.

why do i need a signature? heh

That will help the rest of us help you. Look at my signature for other ideas of what should go in your signature.

Read the Rules

º¿º

Gotcha. I thought that posting my motherboard would more than likely be adequate. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking about updating the BIOS to see if that helps as well...

Missing information in sig. that would be helpful.

Brand and Model Number of PSU including age.

Brand, Model Number and qty. of optical drives installed.

Brand, Model Number and qty. of backup or storage drives installed.

Types of USB devices connected at boot.

This information will go along way to ensuring the best support.

The only USB device connected at boot is the mouse. They keyboard is ps/2. All information should be updated at this point, including the PS, which I forgot.

I would venture to say that your problems will (not so mysteriously) disappear once you have a power supply that meets the minimum recommendations for powering a NF4 board.

slight overclock noted, and you say stock voltage????

maybe a bit more 'juice' to the CPU might do the trick, try that before you go getting another PS.

baldy

450W is adequate for this system. It does not have any optical drives and is using stock voltage for both the RAM and the processor. It is NOT a stability issue, as I have run 2 instances of prime for about 15-16hrs. Thus, increasing voltage would not help anything AFAIK. I have double, triple, quadruple checked all connections to the motherboard. It appears that the only issue is with not the FIRST boot but the SECOND boot after powering the system down. The only way to get the computer to start up is to unplug it, wait for the electrical purge noise (kind of sounds like a zap), and then plugging the cable back in.

Any more ideas? Thanks to those who have contributed.

Ok, have it your way. I'm no one to argue over a point that has been made countless times. I see the same thing over and over, my computer won't boot, my computer won't reboot, my system hangs, yada yada yada.

The truth of the matter is that at boot your rig pulls a tremendous amount of power for fans, cpu, memory, video card, motherboard, optical drives, usb devices etc. Sure, upon intial boot the psu seems just fine, it's had time to gather it's resources so to speak. But upon a reboot it just isnt' getting the job done.

You can live with your current problem or at least try a psu that meets the minimum requirements laid out here at the Street. Choice is yours.