Sign in to follow this  
FuriousGeorge

athlon-xp (boring :) results: not running hot enough

just got a new motherboard, decided to wait a bit longer before going 64 bit. i got pny ddr 600 memory anyway for when i decide to upgrade, which i run at ddr 500 (was that a bad idea?), to go with my xp-m 2500+

anyway when all is said and done, my timing are 2.5, 3, 3, 7. my "cpu interface" is on "aggressive" under advanced chipset settings.

i ended up at 250 X 10. at vcore 1.825, and default voltages for chipset and ram.

i cant go any higher on the fsb or multiplier, not because of the chip will run hot, but because my memory wont pass memtest. my cpu's temp never gets to 50C.

somehow i feel like im underachieving. i feel like i should be able to raise the speed until my temp gets into the 60s at least, but I guess the nforce chipset on my mb doesnt want to go faster than 250 mhz on the fsb, regardless of my multipler.

is that my memory's fault? its not that im not happy with 250 X 10 for what i payed for this hardware, but i am curious about what you guys think.

Well have you tried loosening the timings 2.5 4 4 8 or something of the sort? Tried diffrent memory or chipset volts? Good chipset and memory cooling?

I have to say if you are not too entuhsiastic about overclocking that MB you can often get very good money for them on ebay.

Try running something like 193Mhz 1:1 at 2-3-3-10 with a 13x multiplier, and then slowly work it up to 200 if it will get there. TRAS of 10 will help Nforce2 bandwidth.

Well have you tried loosening the timings 2.5 4 4 8 or something of the sort? Tried diffrent memory or chipset volts? Good chipset and memory cooling?

I have to say if you are not too entuhsiastic about overclocking that MB you can often get very good money for them on ebay.

the default cas for the ram is 3, i dropped it to 2.5 as i heard the nfii ultra b doesnt like 3. i havent tried losening my timings, ill give that a shot now.

this is all at default memory and chipset voltages. if i raise the fsb to, say, 253, even raising my dram voltage from 2.7 to 3.1, and my chipset voltage from 1.6 to 1.9 wont make it prime/memtest stable, and even if it did im not confortable with raising my volages that much. if i dont raise my voltages, it has trouble posting at all.

what happens is prime95 fails after a fem minutes at most, and memtest starts to fail around 40%.

whats wierd to me, or at least what i didnt expect, is that raising my multiplier to affect memtest so much. i always assumed the ram didnt care about the ratio, but i guess it does.

Try running something like 193Mhz 1:1 at 2-3-3-10 with a 13x multiplier, and then slowly work it up to 200 if it will get there. TRAS of 10 will help Nforce2 bandwidth.

im already at 250 x 10 :) i just figured im not maximizing my processors potential since my temps are so low, and i wanted to see if perhaps there was some way to bump that speed up. refer to the above posts.

mine gets to 2650 pretty easily,but i keep it like yours at 250x10,because

i dont like overvolting the cpu.i run my chipset at max,with a lot of cooling,ram at 2.9 and cpu at 1.7.my ram hits a brick wall at 265 on the ultra b,but today i memtested it at 293 on my nf4 untill the 1000 errors at #5. 250x10 is a nice

stable oc for the nf2u B. not much more overhead without a lot of tweaking.

theres a lot of memory settings to play with.maybe a different bios will help

cant remember mine at the time gotta add it to my sig.thats a lot of vcore for

a mobile though.

i tried loseining my timings to no avail. normally i eun at 2.5 3 3 3 7. tried 2.5 5 5 10, and 2.5 4 4 8..

at those settings i tried raising my fsb to 255 and the computer locked up around 34% of memtest

then i tried lowering the fsb to 240 and raising the multi to 10.5 and same result.

265 would be nice but it looks like this combo of cpu, mb, and memory isnt going much farther than 250X10

incidentally i can tweak my t(ras) in either direction and still pass memtest, but i dont understand the effect onmemory bandwidth.