[RESOLVED]GOOD READ...HE GOT FIXED... Dis-enchanted!! Cold boot issue

Well, after all of this, I may have found my problem.

Once I was able to get my rig to power up, I noticed that there were 3 led's lit. This told me that the CPU was identified, but the memory was not found.

So, I took the stick of RAM out of "DDR 4". The remaining stick is in "DDR 2". The computer booted immediately. Maybe, just maybe, one of my sticks of RAM is faulty.

I am going to switch the sticks out tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. I can't believe that I picked the bad stick of RAM the first time, if there is one.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after all of this, I may have found my problem.

Once I was able to get my rig to power up, I noticed that there were 3 led's lit. This told me that the CPU was identified, but the memory was not found.

So, I took the stick of RAM out of "DDR 4". The remaining stick is in "DDR 2". The computer booted immediately. Maybe, just maybe, one of my sticks of RAM is faulty.

I am going to switch the sticks out tomorrow to see if that makes a difference. I can't believe that I picked the bad stick of RAM the first time, if there is one.

Congrats. So... no cold boot. Good news.

it's very likely NEITHER of the sticks are bad..but they miight not like the default settings in your bios. I've Preached and preached about setting the bios up correctly the first time to avoid issues like this.

I always use one stick of ram to enter bios. Setup the bios with appropriate timings and settings for your CPU and Memory. Shut down and install second stick. Then TEST! Test with MORE than just memtest. Prime,Games, benches are all good to use when testing for stability.

Your case sounds like a Dual chan vs Single chan issues which will more than likely be cleared up by applying the correct settings for your particular memory.

Booting up and using "optimal Defaults" isn't the way to go. It's a simple solution to a problem that could and should have been corrected by the builder of the system.

Instead of the headaches you went through and the numerous other hardware blamed it was, in the end, user error. There are a MILLION posts from people stating they have hardware failures and then ask for RMA info. The MAJORITY of these costly and uneeded requests could be eliminated by correcly setting up thier machine in the first place.

An enthusiasts board run by newbies (newbie isn't a bad thing!) and it's ALWAYS the hardware thats to blame!

/Rant Over

Cheers

Thrac

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your replies and assistance.

I have tried most of what has been suggested, but I have not setup one stick of RAM and then added the other. This will be my next test session. I did run Memtest86 (v.1.55) this afternoon and got some errors during "Test #4" after about 3-4 minutes.

I have posted on "The Bleedingedge" forum, also. They have been great. I used settings given to me by RyderOCZ with the same outcome.

The one thread that has run throughout my testing is, anytime I make any changes to the BIOS, be it CPU, Voltage or RAM related, at some point I have a "cold boot" problem. By "cold boot" I mean -- I push the power button either on the case or on the mobo and the four red led's flash once in unison and the video card fan jumps -- then, nothing. I usually clear the CMOS for a short period of time and it will power-up.

I don't have a problem with booting and rebooting a hundred times if I can correct this monster --COLD BOOT!!

I don't have a problem with booting and rebooting a hundred times if I can correct this monster --COLD BOOT!!

You said it yourself. Your getting errors in Memtest. Hence the reason for your "Cold Boot". Think of it this way, if your computer booted first time everytime, even though you still had errors you wouldn't have even tested. You'd be running a unstable machine and most likely would be back here complaining of BSODs and other instabilities.

I realise it seems like you should be able to just enter a few settings that "OCZ" gives you but such is life, things are never that easy. It would help immensly if you actually read the DRAM guide and knew what each setting was and how it affected your stability.

You need to remove 1 stick of ram and setup your bios correctly.

If memtest passes put the other stick back in and test again. If it fails to boot or memtest fails try upping the dram voltage and/or loosening./changing timings.

Could we get you to post your bios settings related to cpu/mem?

It might be something simple your overlooking.

Cheers

Thrac

You said it yourself. Your getting errors in Memtest. Hence the reason for your "Cold Boot". Think of it this way, if your computer booted first time everytime, even though you still had errors you wouldn't have even tested. You'd be running a unstable machine and most likely would be back here complaining of BSODs and other instabilities.

I realise it seems like you should be able to just enter a few settings that "OCZ" gives you but such is life, things are never that easy. It would help immensly if you actually read the DRAM guide and knew what each setting was and how it affected your stability.

You need to remove 1 stick of ram and setup your bios correctly.

If memtest passes put the other stick back in and test again. If it fails to boot or memtest fails try upping the dram voltage and/or loosening./changing timings.

Could we get you to post your bios settings related to cpu/mem?

It might be something simple your overlooking.

Cheers

Thrac

Thanks, Thrac,

I have read the DRAM guide thoroughly. In fact, I have printed and basically live with it. However, while my questions don't appear to be knowledgeable, that is the problem with being new to anything. It is difficult to know how to word questions when you don't necessarily know the subject that well.:confused: With your help and others on this site, I will be an expert in no time flat. I don't give up very easily. Get frustrated, yes! But realize anything worth doing isn't always easy.

I am in the process of clearing the CMOS as I type. I have pulled the stick of RAM from DDR 4 (orange slot closest to CPU) and will try to boot again in a short while. Once I can get into the BIOS I will set everything to stock settings and begin testing from there. If the computer will boot, I will be dogged about getting this thing purring.

Update: My computer booted and I have been running the "Standard" Memtest86+ for 2 hours and 9 minutes without and error. This is with one stick in the orange slot (DDR 2) nearest to the edge of the mobo. All of my settings are at default: RAM = 200 MHz (DDR401); CAS = 3-4-3-7 1T Single Channel (64 bits)

I ran 6 passes with one stick, now I have begun testing the other stick. When I first installed it, I got 3 led's and a beep every 3 seconds, so I took it out and reinstalled it. This time it booted into Memtest86. It has been running 12 minutes with no errors.

now I have begun testing the other stick. When I first installed it, I got 3 led's and a beep every 3 seconds, so I took it out and reinstalled it. This time it booted into Memtest86. It has been running 12 minutes with no errors.

That's a significant finding.

The mere fact that one stick has trouble booting in the same slot that another stick works fine in is a clue to the resolution.

Even though that stick may test fine once it's running, the fact that it has issues is alarming.

Try swaping both sticks repeatedly in the same slot to verify that one won't start the board properly every time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Roadie,

Well, I finally did a "RMA" on my RAM, because I kept getting errors with the same stick. OCZ was absolutely great! However, that did not cure my " cold boot" problem. I did find a solution that is working to this point.

In the past, I had been flipping the switch on the PSU to the "off" position, when I shut-down for the night. Then, it wouldn't boot in the morning without clearing the CMOS and turning on the PSU switch and leaving it on for several minutes before booting.:confused:

So, after some thought, I decided the common denominator is -- turning off the PSU. The cure, (so far) leave it on. It has booted successfully for 5 days in a row.

All of the settings in the BIOS are set to "optimal defaults". The RAM is running 1/01 at 200; 3, 4, 3, 8 - 1T

I know this is slow, but RyderOCZ says that down-clocking RAM should never be a problem.

I want to go to 2.5 (250 x 10), but it always appears to cause problems when I OC. I will try it with my knew theory to see if works.

I am of the opinion that you were correct in one of your earlier posts. It is my PSU. How lucky can one guy be -- bad memory and a bad PSU? Both from the same company.

I will update the situation once I try OC'ing.

Okay, I am now OC'd to 2.5 (250 x 10) all other settings are at stock. It is on the 8th day of booting first thing in the morning with the PSU switch remaining in the "ON" position when shutting down at night.

Again, I am of the opinion that ExRoadie is correct. It is my PSU. I will continue to OC ever so slightly to see what happens.

Another day, another boot. The PSU switch was still in the "ON" position over-night. I can shut it off during the day for short periods and it doesn't appear to cause any problems.

Yesterday afternoon, I OC'd my rig to 260 x 10, 1.375 volts; Memory 180 : 9/10 at 2.6 volts = 234 (3,4,4,8 - 1T); all other settings are stock and it booted this morning as stated. I used the memory divider because my computer wouldn't boot with it at 260, even with looser timings and higher volts (2.7). It is game stable. The temps are good.

Any ideas why the rig will boot if I leave the PSU swith in the "ON" position all of the time?

I will keep my log going to see what happens.

This had been quite an interesting thread for me to read. Do NOT take anything I say to heart because I am more new to this than you are.

From what I would guess, the switch on the back of the PSU is not really something that should be used on a daily basis - not even on any sort of regular basis. The only good it does is it will save you money on electricity in the long run. HOWEVER, when you turn this switch off, all of the capaciters in the mobo will drain (I think) and these are vital for system stability - especially on startup. But like I said - this is just my logic.

It is good however, that this gave you the insentive to test your RAM as I am sure a faulty RAM stick is bad - even if you can't tell.