[RESOLVED]GOOD READ...HE GOT FIXED... Dis-enchanted!! Cold boot issue

Thanks again, ExRoadie.

Since it is working perfectly on default settings, cold boots and all, I am going to leave it that way until I have time to update the BIOS as you suggested. I hope that might help the problem.

Since it cold boots on default settings, it appears to me that there is some component that doesn't like the higher settings on the CPU when I OC. I wouldn't think that 200 MHz (From 2.4 GHz to 2.64 GHz) would make that much difference on booting; but it does.

p.s. I am running "FarCry" with all vid card settings at maximum; including the resolution at 1600 X 1200 (Max for my CRT monitor.) Jack, the main character, smokes around the screen, so I am pleased with the performance of my rig from that stand-point.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont mean to be repitive, so i apoligize if this has already been suggested, but have you tried a dif psu? or tried your psu in a dif. board? I too had cold boot issues, sent my psu back to ocz, got the new one in less than a week (yeah for corss shipping) and havent had a problem since (5 months).

i dont mean to be repitive, so i apoligize if this has already been suggested, but have you tried a dif psu? or tried your psu in a dif. board? I too had cold boot issues, sent my psu back to ocz, got the new one in less than a week (yeah for corss shipping) and havent had a problem since (5 months).

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will try OC'ing again in a couple of days and if it begins cold booting again, I will contact OCZ for advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, things have been going great for almost a month. I am OC'd to 2.64 all stock voltages.

I have been playing Tomb Raiders-Legend with the new technology enabled and it absolutely flies. I played last evening for about two hours and checked my temps when I got done. The CPU was 38C, PWM IC was 50C and the other temp was 51C. I shut it down for the night, but when I attempted to boot this morning -- NOTHING! The two amber lights were on, but when I pushed the power button, the video card fan would jump and the four red leds would blink once and there ain't no more to tell.

I cleared the CMOS for 10 minutes several different times, to no avail. So, I am clearing the CMOS over-night to see if that helps. I will let you know what happens.

I have Tmod's CD 7 on a CD, so if I can get this thing running, I will flash the BIOS to see if that helps.

Is there anything that I should watch for when I do the flash? I read the procedures to follow after the flash is complete, but couldn't find any info about what to do prior to the flash. This makes me very nervous. I don't want to make a door-stop. I have never flashed a BIOS other that for a DVD-RW.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Stock speeds, and it must be perfectly stable, meaning if you have to change some RAM timings to be stable at stock speeds then make sure they are in place. Follow the recommended after flash procedure and you won't have any problems.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to contact OCZ about an RMA.

Send a PM to RyderOCZ to get his opinion.

Thanks Roadie.

I assume you mean for the PSU, since that is what we discussed in prior posts.

I will do exactly that. I don't mind booting and rebooting to find the best settings for a good OC, but this cold boot thing is a pain in the A--. If you know what I mean.

I don't mean to be a pain, but since it took all of my knowledge to build it the first time, I am not looking forward to dismantling it and rebuilding it again.

Stock speeds, and it must be perfectly stable, meaning if you have to change some RAM timings to be stable at stock speeds then make sure they are in place. Follow the recommended after flash procedure and you won't have any problems.

Thanks for the quick post, CPDMF.

My system has been runnig stable at stock speeds since it was built. I only seem to have problems when it is OC'd. Even then, however, it has been stable at 2.64. As I said in my post, I can play some intense games for hours with no problems. The cold boot problem is not caused by stability. I don't believe, any how.

The cold boot problem is not caused by stability.

You're right!

The "true" "cold boot" issue is caused by the PSU. Some "cold boot" issues are related to a misdiagnosis of the diagnostic LEDs by the user when hardware fails or after failed overclocking. This is almost always correctable by using the Long Clear CMOS.

Here is a message that I sent to RyderOCZ after communicating with him all day:

"Here is the latest in the saga.

I had cleared the CMOS for 24 hours. Then, tried to boot the system, but nothing happened as I stated before. I kept trying to get it to boot by turning the switch on the PSU to off until the amber lights on the mobo went out, then turned it on agin. This gave me the same flash of 4 red led's and the video card fan jumped.

Next, I decided to leave the PSU turned on for awhile without attempting to boot the system. This worked to an extent. The system booted, but all 4 red led's stayed on and I got a single beep every second.

So, the PSU powered the system, but the 4 red led's mean that the system is looking for the CPU. I don't know what the beeps are telling me.

This is getting more confusing for me all of the time."

The only thing that I left out of this message was, the power switch nor the reset button on the case, had any effect on the system. In other words, I had to use the PSU power switch to turn off the system.

Now, what is the prognosis?

p.s. All of the fans were running when the system was on.

DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D. I just bought it and had it returned to DFI thinking the PCIe slot was broke. DFI sent it back. Hmmmm must be ok.

I reset the CMOS. system boots to either F1 or DEL for setup. If I go f1 I can get into my SATA drive. Windows Xp will load. After I shut it down to restart, the system will not reboot. The 4 amber leds will light up but I get a black screen. It just hangs. I replaced battery, used only mem modual, Jumpers are all on default and I can't get the system to reboot unless I clear the CMOS again. The thing acts just like it's not remembering the settings but I used a new cr2032 battery. I tried to change the boot sequence to the cd rom first then on a new Seagate Baracudda SATA drive to reload windows Zp but I got nothing. Pleas help

AMD X2 4400

Infanity Ultra D0905 SLI 500 watt PS

EVGA GeForce 6800 GS runnung in single mode

x2 Patriot PSD2G400KH 2GB PC3200 CL3

Seagate Barracuda SATA 160

ps2mouse & keyboard

windows Xp Pro sp2

The ram & video runs fine in my MSi board

Please help

Thanks

Tom (Bullistiks)

ps.if you can please reply to my [email protected] email too. It would be greatly appreciated

DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D. I just bought it and had it returned to DFI thinking the PCIe slot was broke. DFI sent it back. Hmmmm must be ok.

I reset the CMOS. system boots to either F1 or DEL for setup. If I go f1 I can get into my SATA drive. Windows Xp will load. After I shut it down to restart, the system will not reboot. The 4 amber leds will light up but I get a black screen. It just hangs. I replaced battery, used only mem modual, Jumpers are all on default and I can't get the system to reboot unless I clear the CMOS again. The thing acts just like it's not remembering the settings but I used a new cr2032 battery. I tried to change the boot sequence to the cd rom first then on a new Seagate Baracudda SATA drive to reload windows Zp but I got nothing. Pleas help

AMD X2 4400

Infanity Ultra D0905 SLI 500 watt PS

EVGA GeForce 6800 GS runnung in single mode

x2 Patriot PSD2G400KH 2GB PC3200 CL3

Seagate Barracuda SATA 160

ps2mouse & keyboard

windows Xp Pro sp2

The ram & video runs fine in my MSi board

Please help

Thanks

Tom (Bullistiks)

ps.if you can please reply to my [email protected] email too. It would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the "Street".

First, you should make a signature in the "USERCP" section of the forum. This will help us give you better help.

Second, you should read this thread:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20832

Follow it to the letter and it should help!

Last, you should start a new thread for your question. I will get better coverage if you do. My thread has been on-going for some time. So many of the members have already read it and won't return.

Good luck!