Sign in to follow this  
AsAs1n8eR

tricks on reattaching IHS.What worked best for you?

I had removed my IHS on the 2600+ processor.I sold it and since I was on a time pressure I didn't have time to reattach it with proper stuff.I reattached it with superglue.Now I would wan't to hear your experience stories of how you reattached your IHS.I thought of black silicon with heatgun but that spreads large amount on it.So I was thinking on smthn' cold.I would like to remove my IHS on this CPU too but I wan't to gather the neccesary stuff for an eventual reattachment.Please post alternatives.I hope this can serve as a guide for reattaching IHS. ;)

Why would you ever want to reattach your IHS? You might even be able to get extra resale value because its naked.

I know many people that would pay a premium for a naked processor. The risk is simply too high.

But since you ask... you have to consider that the IHS is meant to interface with the die and the heatsink. Thus, the way its connected to the chip is moot. Any way you reattach it, as long as the die and the chip have a good connection with a decent TIM. I'm sure you'll be fine.

If ever had the inclination to reattach my IHS (someone shoot me). Then I'd do it with Gorilla glue (what the real men use). But make sure you scrape all the black stuff off.

If you hope for a less permanent solution, I'd go with straight up superglue.

Hope this helps, and please, know this is all speculation. I've never had to reattach an IHS and hope I never have too...

Well here they freak out when they see an IHS less CPU.I don't mean super glue.I was wondering of smthn that can be cut off as well.Maybe someone from AMD know what they are using to stick them on.THnx.

Just use black silicon, the stuff in the tubes. So long as you clean off the old stuff first, and apply a thin even line around the base of the IHS, then all should be fine. I'm pretty sure thats all AMD used.

Just scrape off all the old black silicon glue, and use just a tiny dab of new silicon glue at the 4 corners. Clamp the IHS/CPU/HEATSINK inplace on a motherboard lying flat on the table, let the glue dry/harden in the compressed position. This will give you excellent core/ihs contact inside, and should yeild resyults somewhere between NEKED CORE and STOCK.

All the glue is for is to keep the IHS from shifting position under use, beyond that nothing else is needed.

Thnx for the tips that is a gerat trick.I just found some interesting stuff over on XS.It seems taht there is a thread about this too.They are talking about some room vulcanazing silicone.