Windows Boot-Up

After putting all the parts together, I installed Windows and everything seemed just fine. After it boots, it prompts me on how do I want to start Windows (Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking etc) When I press enter on any of the options it just restarts.

Somethings I've Tried:

Moved memory to orange slot.

I flashed the BIOS to 2006/04/06. CMOS'd, loaded Optimized Defaults. After this I actually see the Windows loading screen for a split second and than a split second view of a blue screen and than it restarts.

Reinstalled Windows again

Seemed to be back at point one(no more loading screen/blue screen, just restarts) so I moved the SATA cable to another slot and now the loading screen/blue screen thing right before restart is back.

I've done searches all over the forum and I noticed a handful of people had the same problem, but they never got to a solution. Anyone have the slightest idea? Any suggested solutions? This is my friends computer, so he can't really ask for help and since I told him to get this board I feel obligated to help him.

Thanks

-Warren

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After putting all the parts together, I installed Windows and everything seemed just fine. After it boots, it prompts me on how do I want to start Windows (Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking etc) When I press enter on any of the options it just restarts.

Somethings I've Tried:

Moved memory to orange slot.

I flashed the BIOS to 2006/04/06. CMOS'd, loaded Optimized Defaults. After this I actually see the Windows loading screen for a split second and than a split second view of a blue screen and than it restarts.

Reinstalled Windows again

Seemed to be back at point one(no more loading screen/blue screen, just restarts) so I moved the SATA cable to another slot and now the loading screen/blue screen thing right before restart is back.

I've done searches all over the forum and I noticed a handful of people had the same problem, but they never got to a solution. Anyone have the slightest idea? Any suggested solutions? This is my friends computer, so he can't really ask for help and since I told him to get this board I feel obligated to help him.

Thanks

-Warren

I just set up my systen and had similar issues setting up my PC. I would enable Memtest to run in the BIOS (bottom of the Genie menu. This will continue to run every time you restart until you re-enter the BIOS and disable it.)

Run Memtest on each of the sticks of RAM, one at a time in orange slot #2 (closest to the side of the motherboard). If you can run several complete passes without any errors on each stick, then you know the memory is OK. You may need to change the timings to get this to work - but usually, the default timings (SPD) work fine.

Then, look at RGone's memory guide - to get things going at a minimum: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5844

My RAM is rated 2.5-4-4-8 2T up to 300MHz. I had to make the following changes:

- Bank Interleave: Disabled

- CPC: Disabled (2T) - You may not need this yet...

- Vdimm: 2.8V

- Drive Strength: Level 4 - Other values may work on your RAM (1,2,3,6 are common)

- Drive Data Strength: Level4 (0%)

- CAS: 3 - You may be able to use 2 or 2.5

Some of these I needed for just 1 stick, but with all of these settings, I also managed 2 sticks in dual channel. RGone's giude will provide you with more options/explanations.

I also turned off CPU throttling and set the HDD wait to 2sec.

Have a decent play with the memory before you go any further, and don't worry too much about tight timings and things until you get the OS installed with 1 stick.

You are going to have to upgrade the PSU at some time as ExRoadie points out. People procransinate about this decision for ages - but spend the money on a good brand 600W PSU - and you will never regret it. Enermax and Seasonic are good brands - but there is an exhaustive list in the forums by DavidHammock somewhere that covers all options...

But when it runs... IT IS AWESOME:):)

I'm on the phone with my friend

so far all I got him to do is:

Bank Interleave: Disabled

CPC: Enabled (attempting to follow guide)

Set it to 2.5v

Drive Strength: Level4 (not sure)

Drive Data Strength: Level4 (not sure)

CAS: 2.5

He can't find where the CPU throttling thing is in the bios or HDD wait.

All I know about his ram is that it has a CAS timing is 2.5, voltage of 2.5 and nothing about the frequency. I'm really new to ram timing so I have no clue...

EDIT: My friend found a "CPU Thermal Throttling" is that it?

I'm on the phone with my friend

so far all I got him to do is:

Bank Interleave: Disabled

CPC: Enabled (attempting to follow guide)

Set it to 2.5v

Drive Strength: Level4 (not sure)

Drive Data Strength: Level4 (not sure)

CAS: 2.5

He can't find where the CPU throttling thing is in the bios or HDD wait.

All I know about his ram is that it has a CAS timing is 2.5, voltage of 2.5 and nothing about the frequency.

Corsair Value Select is not necessarily compatible with the board BTW.

Look at the other thread that I linked to. Doesn't matter so much about the HDD and CPU throttling. vDimm (RAM Voltage) should be on the sticks - but 2.5V sounds very low. I would try 2.8V... Remember, we are trying to get it going at all ATM

Also, if CAS 2.5 doesn't work, try CAS 3. You can always tune it up after you get the OS installed.

But most important is 1 stick only in the orange slot closest to the edge of the board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145026 <-he told me thats the ram he bought and hes attempting to start with the settings with 2.8V. Hes on the memtest now, anything he should take note of/look for?

Oh and he only has 1 stick of memory, he plans to upgrade when he has money. Only reason he got the value select was cause he was building on a budget and he didnt think to check compatibility :/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145026 <-he told me thats the ram he bought and hes attempting to start with the settings with 2.8V. Hes on the memtest now, anything he should take note of/look for?

Oh and he only has 1 stick of memory, he plans to upgrade when he has money. Only reason he got the value select was cause he was building on a budget and he didnt think to check compatibility :/

If Memtest goes through several complete cycles without reporting any errors, then the RAM is OK and its all about the tweaking. If Memtest reports errors, the RAM is either not compatible or should be returned.

You see a summary at the base of the memtest screen with; number of tests and errors. "errors" should be 0. This should be run continually for quite a while. Some say 8hrs - but 3-5 complete passes without errors is a good sign...

wow...so far its gone through only one pass and its good. So we should wait till around 4 passes and than Escape and Reboot?

I'm really unfamiliar with ram timing and my friend has never been on a BIOS screen until today so we're really in over our heads.

wow...so far its gone through only one pass and its good. So we should wait till around 4 passes and than Escape and Reboot?

I'm really unfamiliar with ram timing and my friend has never been on a BIOS screen until today so we're really in over our heads.

Read through the threads. The first few threads - which are sticky (always on top) - tell you how to set up the machines and all about optimal configurations. These guys are absolute experts, so take their advice. I know a bit about computers, but not much about DFI boards. RGone, ExRoadie and others have all of the valuable information.

As for the BIOS, keep most things at default. "Load optmised defaults" takes you back to the default setting - but don't do this unless you need to clear the entire BIOS. As a rule of thumb, change one thing at a time and then test (in this case try the windows install). As you guys are beginners, start with a whole set of configurations from other users - and if you have a little more success, then tweak one value at a time, retesting (re-installing) in between. You won't need to format the disk every time, but I would choose to delete the WINDOWS directory and get a complete file list each time.

4 error free passes...guess its the tweaking? im having him clear the cmos, load optimized defaults and than reading off the entire guide to him so he can set it to the optimal settings. Since I don't have his BIOS screen infront of me, can someone tell me where to find the non-Genie menu things, such as:

a. Make sure Erratta94 is disabled.

b. Turn off cpu throttling.

c. Set Pci pay load to 256mb and not default 4096 or to what your memory on video card actually is.

d. I usually set hard drive delay to 2 seconds in order to give them time to spin up before the bios tries to read them. Especially good for some PATA drives but I use on all.

and also: a2. CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio Manual Set to what Your Default Multiplier Is. (how do i find default multiplier?)

Oh and can you tell me what "a little more success" is? Every time it gets to windows loading it shows a quick blue screen and restarts as usual? What am I supposed to be looking for?

4 error free passes...guess its the tweaking? im having him clear the cmos, load optimized defaults and than reading off the entire guide to him so he can set it to the optimal settings. Since I don't have his BIOS screen infront of me, can someone tell me where to find the non-Genie menu things, such as:

a. Make sure Erratta94 is disabled.

b. Turn off cpu throttling.

c. Set Pci pay load to 256mb and not default 4096 or to what your memory on video card actually is.

d. I usually set hard drive delay to 2 seconds in order to give them time to spin up before the bios tries to read them. Especially good for some PATA drives but I use on all.

and also: a2. CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio Manual Set to what Your Default Multiplier Is. (how do i find default multiplier?)

Oh and can you tell me what "a little more success" is? Every time it gets to windows loading it shows a quick blue screen and restarts as usual? What am I supposed to be looking for?

Multiplier is 9. 3000+ CPU is single core 9x200MHz(HTT)=1.8Ghz

I can't see the BIOS ATM, but you just need to go through the other menus, they are all on the left, if I remember correctly.

Success? Further into the installation, XP installed, etc. You'll know...