XFX7900GT SLI/OC'ed

I just got a copy of Oblivion, hopefully it's a good substitute for my OC'ing addiction.

The temps with aftermarket cooling certainly do show the downfalls of the nVidia standard.

So you got both your cards running at 735... lucky man:) I cant get stabally past 715 with mine at the same Vcore... now I'm just jealous:)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I got it running at 735/935 with Powerstrip. Now when I only had the single card with the gpu waterblock I did a loop of 3dmark '01 '03 0'5 and '06 six times 1.55/2.18 at that speed and no problems, also with FEAR Quake4, Chaos Theory and Oblivion. Now with SLI using the 91.31, I think is the beta driver, I have problems with '01 and nothing on the rest. As far as the games go, no problems either. 3dmark '01 just freezes randomly on the test. But as long as I 'aint got no problems on the games, I'm satisfied.

But as long as I 'aint got no problems on the games, I'm satisfied.
Thats whats it's all about:)

I had trouble with 3Dmark03 freezing up with a not so stable memory OC and the same drivers, but alls fine now. I've been playing Oblivion for the last couple of hours and all seems fine... It must look great OC SLI'ed.

Waaaaaaaaaaa:eek: my newer card just went bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Picture003-1.jpg

My newer card does not want to OC anymore, even after removing the vmod. As you can see on the pic, major problem on SLI. My older card is stable, but the newer one just went bad, I have tested on my SLI-DR rig and its gone south.:confused:

Same with my 2 week old pair of XFX 7900GT 520/1500 cards :( I get a black version of the jaggies you have in that pic. Going back to the store tomorrow for an exchange (assuming I can get some reassurance) or I will change for a 7950 GTX2 (it'll only cost me 25 bucks more). Initially, if I disabled SLi, the images were fine but now they both have the flu!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I just got the RMA for my second XFX7900GT. This card have the aluminum bracket on it!!!!!! Awesome, way to go XFX. You guys can guess what I did after testing it on stock, yes, I used Coolbits to OC it with the stock voltage and stock cooling and got 565/900, thats at stock. Would you believe that, ands its stable too. Ultimately I busted out the conductive pen and did the gpu mod to 1.50, also put in the vf900, I did not do the memory mod this time because it already got up to 900 at stock. Idles at 48 and I'm going to test it playing Oblivion, SLI:D

Good to see you have a good card... for now.

I'm in a quandry... I have my conductive ink pen but my 7900GT's are currently running on stock coolers. Should I try the 1.3v mod or wait until I buy the Swiftech MCW60 water blocks, add them to my cooling loop first and go for the 1.4 or 1.5v mod?

This card have the aluminum bracket on it!!!!!!
:confused: And you others didn't? My 7900GT's have 'em (same model as yours) as do my 7800GTX's. I find it a smart addition as it adds rigidity to the card and makes it easier to insert/remove, plus it makes 'em look damn sexy ;) if that's possible for a GFX card.

• 2 weeks later...

Yap, good cards, for now. Its the reason why I lowered the vgpu mod to 1.5 from 1.55. As long as it will last for a while it will keep me from purchasing the 7950, he he he lol. The first card the I got when it first came out did not have the bracket, I was surprised when XFX sent me one with the bracket.

As far as the MCW60 is concerned, I took mine off the loop when I got the second card instead of buying a second waterblock. I went instead with a couple of vf900, idles at 40, after playing Oblivion or Titan Quest for 3 hrs the load is up to 60-63. I went with aircooling because I got me an AC unit in the room. Do the 1.4 mod first and see if you can reach 700/900 on that. There will be no reason for you to do 1.5 if it can, and besides it will run cooler. I suspect my second card is a lot better than the first because it already reached 900 on the memory on stock. I was thinking of finding out the max for it but I'm busy playing Oblivion and Titan Quest.:D

Is anyone noticing a significant increase in FPS and stuff after a volt mod?? I haven't even tried overclocking it yet, cos I've got stock cooling, but what's the average FPS increase pre-volt mod overclock and post-mod overclock? And include pre-overclock pre-volt mod if you can!

BTW, didn't mean to hijack, just couldn't be bothered to start my own thread!

Voltes-5, I went with a 1.4v mod (but haven't tried overclocking to "ludicrous speed" just yet) and the two Swiftech MCW60 blocks. I'm idling ~32°-34°C and haven't gone over 47°C when looping 3DMark06.

Those MCW60 works great, the one I have really cooled my first card @1.55, which added more heat to the loop of 1.6 vcore of my cpu. The gpu temps never did reach 60 even after six times loop of 3dmarks or playing Oblivion for 3 hrs. One of the reason too is that I have a fan positioned perfectly to move the air out of the case. It was just more of a trouble for me to set up another block for the gpu, thats the reason why I went for air cooling. But yeah, try to OC the card first with the 1.4 to see how high it can get.