Gun Control?

AYoKoNA

This is for iggy because u didn't listen to any of the facts i pointed out. There was an article published today on foxnews about gun control. here is a small quote from it that will bolster my argument.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99939,00.html

"Another blow to the gun control lobby came Oct. 2 when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (search) released a review of 51 published studies about the effectiveness of state gun control laws. The CDC report found

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you mean without guns?What about the "black market" The study shows that "law abiding citizens follow gun laws... NOT THE CRIMINALS. They get their guns anyhow. 80% of gun crimes are committed with UNREGISTERED WEAPONS!!

Again what do you mean without guns? Are they magically gonna dissappear when you put laws in place?

Edited by AYoKoNA

having restrictions on what guns we can have, and who can have them hasn't really helped now has it? how many registered weapons are used in violent crimes vs illegal / unregistered weapons. it's like 1 in 50! so banning guns would do nothing to stop it.

how ever I think they should look at a state like texas and thier method for curbing it. make it simple to carry a gun. as long as it can be seen you can walk down the street with a loaded pistol, riffle or shot gun. and for those people who actually do commit violent crimes... a very strict death penalty. now think about it. if you're going to go hold up a bank are you gonna go running in there knowing that some people besides you are packing guns? NO it's a deterant that works quite well from what I've seen.

detroit on the other hand, everyone has guns, but it still hasn't helped much :(

There was a elderly black gentleman from Downtown Los Angeles who was interviewed by someone about gun control on a Radio Show. He said "I was in a situation in LA one time and got pulled over by two police officers. I told them I had a concealed weapon in the car." The officer replied that it was illegal to carry a concealed weapon in Los Angeles. The man replied "I WOULD RATHER BE JUDGED BY TWELVE THAN CARRIED OUT BY SIX". The officer told the gentleman to have a nice day and let him go! Why? Because he knows how dangerous DOWNTOWN LA is. Gangs are killing other Gangs and ppl are in the crossfire. They NEED TO DEFEND THEMSELVES!

Geezus....you missed it entirely. I'm an idealist, but I'm not an idiot. I don't believe for one minute that all the guns are going to poof and dissappear anytime soon. My only point for making that post was to help you to realize as much as people try to argue it, Guns kill people. I wanted you to take a minute and attempt to fathom (albeit Utopian) how ideal it would be if guns were not a "necessity". you can't do it can you? It's just not possible for people to comprehend this. I've never touched, fired, or seen a "real" gun in my life, and i could live the remainder of my life in full contention having never seen one. This whole "well, the world is a dangerous place so I need my trusty gun" mentality only perpetuates the problem. I know it's not even feasible or reasonable what I propose, but take a minute and look at the arguments you are making for the necessity of guns....doesn't it depress you just a little bit that such an evil device seems so necessary in your mind?

I agree with what big red says. If a robber is gonna rob a bank where it is legal and easy to carry a concealed weapon that robber is gonna think more than twice about robbing a bank when all of its customers are packing heat. Could you imagine? It would just be stupid knowing that 50% of the people your holding up are just waiting for you to turn your head so they can pull out their pistol and defend themselves. Because of this i am in favor of loose gun control laws.

This is not going to turn into a shouting match for me....I don't participate in that. I don't even see any reason for argument on a topic like this....How can you invalidate this "The world would be a better place without guns [weapons, modern killing devices]" It is not meant to be refuted or disputed. It's just to make you aware that it IS posible to be idealistic and hopeful for the future of humanity.

howie... I am not disagreeing with that comment. AT ALL. The world would be a better place without guns. The problem is is that it is idealistic. That will NEVER be reality because there will always be evil ppl that are brought up with evil intentions. you can't change that.. If you disarm society, the bandits will have the guns and what else will we have to defend ourselves. Im not trying to turn it into a shouting match, but your acting like we just can magically make them dissapear. Guns are bad true, but they have already BEEN invented. You can't change that.

The point is that yes, it would be nice if guns and the like never existed and would go away, but the REALITY of the situation is that guns are here, and there heres to stay, and because of this everyone should think realisticly as to how to better the stituation. In the case of guns, getting rid of guns, or enacting tougher gun control laws would not help the situation. Giving everyone the right to carry a weapon legally is what would help this realistic situation.

edit::::::::

we posted pretty much the same thing ayokona :D

You posted while i was typing

Edited by andrusk

I'm certain that to most of you I have proven nothing and I haven't made a strong argument here, but there is nothing i can do about that. Something like this is inexplicable...it's a feeling that I have that doesn't translate well over into real words. I really feel that this world is a sh8tty place because we have made it this way. I don't claim to have any answers to any questions, im just voicing my emotion and it really contrasts to what i feel is a defatist attitude that a lot of people have when it comes to a lot of issues, especially this one. Guns exist and they provide NO positive contribution to humanity. I know it seems unreasonable, but if they are such a destructive force, make steps to get rid of them. It won't happen in my lifetime, but in subsequent generations i GENUINELY feel it is possible for us to live without destructive forces like this. I guess it comes down to my fundamental belief in the essential good in humanity. We are not entirely self serving creatures that will go to any lengths to improve our conditions at the expense of others. I just refuse to believe that. If there is a way for mutual gain, we will go to great lengths to make that possible, and i see this as one such opportunity.

----EDIT----

but the REALITY of the situation is that guns are here, and there heres to stay,
I'm sorry, but i just dont believe this!! I truly believe that the next step of the evolutionary cycle for us is to realize our failure as a violent people and reform accordingly. I'm a fundamental believer in the essential good of humans. That's what distinguishes us from animals...our ability to reason. Like I said, it's really a gut-emotional thing, and even sitting here trying to type it is near impossible. I consider myself to be an intelligent person. I just cannot rationalize that this is all that we will accomplish on this earth.

Gotta take my lunchbreak.

Edited by howie b