Expert Wont Post

Hi everyone.

Back in March, I built a computer for a friend, using an Asus A8N-E. After about three weeks, my friend said the screen randomly went blank and when he tried to restart the computer nothing showed up. So I assumed his motherboard just died, and got an RMA. Well, his computer didn't boot again. We got a second replacement, and we still got a blank screen.

After reading some of the reviews at NewEgg that said it took like 3 returns to finally get a good motherboard, we just went for the top of the line A8N32-SLI Deluxe. Unfortunately, it didn't work either. So far this is our fourth motherboard.

As I write this, I currently have a DFI UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert sitting next to me (I kept assuming it was Asus's fault). I got a new powersupply for this motherboard--the one you guys reccommended (OCZ PowerStream 520w), put his AMD Opteron 144 in, attached the Zalman CNPS9500LED, put one stick of ram in and his videocard. I connected all of the power connectors.

I hit the switch on the motherboard (its a really nice feature!) and the four red LEDs came on immediatley. So by now it's safe to assume the motherboard isn't dead, the powersupply isn't a problem, and we also tested his videocard in a known-good computer (and it worked).

So would it be safe for me to assume that his CPU is the problem? On his old motherboard, we did overclock it to 2.8GHz (from 1.8... hehe). We didn't leave it overclocked though, we just did it for fun (and he used it normally for a week or so).

I did try resetting the CMOS by the way (for around 10 hours I think), using the guide on these forums.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: If I took out my processor, wouldn't the LEDs on the motherboard just show 3 yellow ones (meaning that it can't detect CPU)? Because I did remove my processor and started--still 4 red LEDs.

Guest caffeinejunkie

Welcome to the Street eric

If you were to remove the cpu you would still see 4 leds because:

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

I know you said you plugged in all the power connectiosn but i have to ask did you plug in all four (20+4,4pin,molex,floppy)?

If all that fails then it is highly likely it's the cpu. Do you have another one to test?

The Expert has a 24 pin(or 20+4), an 8 pin, and a floppy connector by the top Gfx slot.

If you have gone through 4 motherboards, and you have any competence at building, then I'd suspect the cpu. I assume you have tested the PSU.

Guest caffeinejunkie
The Expert has a 24 pin(or 20+4), an 8 pin, and a floppy connector by the top Gfx slot.

ehh I always forget the expert uses the 24pin the 8pin and the floppy :eek2: sorry about that :P

Back in March, I built a computer for a friend, using an Asus A8N-E. After about three weeks, my friend said the screen randomly went blank and when he tried to restart the computer nothing showed up.

A full Gigahertz on an ASUS board. Highly likely then it's the CPU. Probably roasted that little sucker. Hell, I killed a few. Man those Optys' are more fun than a pair of 44s'.

Guest caffeinejunkie
A full Gigahertz on an ASUS board. Highly likely then it's the CPU. Probably roasted that little sucker. Hell, I killed a few. Man those Optys' are more fun than a pair of 44s'.

speed alone wont kill the cpu so what vcore where you using @2.8ghz?

Yes I did check to make sure all of my power connectors were in. I do have a lot of competance in building computers, I built my first when I was 11, however this is my first time building an AMD64 system (I had a lot of trouble figuring out the HTT bus and all of the other stuff when overclocking!)

But anyways, when I overclocked it I think the vcore was 1.55 (I'm pretty sure). It wasn't going above 130F though, so I doubt too much voltage was the problem. It was a lot though, but it still ran fine for a week or two after we put it back to normal. The DDR was at 2.6v by the way.

Edit: I cleared the CMOS while I was gone yesterday, so it should be about 24 hours since I started the clear. I'm going to see if it works right now (but yeah it is probably the processor).

Edit 2: Yeah so clearing the CMOS didnt help.

Yeah I have another, but it's in my friend's dad's computer. And he wouldn't want me messing with it, so I guess I don't know what to do, except get an RMA from AMD (which I am having a little trouble with).

i have a local pc shop to me only small, but im good friends with the owner, when i need bits testing, i just take it to him and he builds something compatable, you have anywhere like that? even if you have to give them a few bucks, at least youll know for sure :)