Sign in to follow this  
synapsis

[250gb]Been Here Before... Chipset Cooler ?

Hey Everyone,

Know we've been here before - but couldn't find anything in the search, so thought I'd ask again.

Been using just a small 60mm fan on the stock sink w/ AS5, but it still registers mid-40s with my IR temp gun.

Clearance around my 7800GS is minimal, so need either a bigger passive sink, or I'd prefer a small HS+F.

Has anyone tried the Evercool VC-RE that works so well on the Ultra-D? Fit issues?

Cheers..

I use the thermalright hr05 with a nexus 80mm fan and arctic silver 5.

fits perfectly with the fan on the opposite side to the AGP card. don't know temps, but the base is cool to the touch.

Evercool VC-RE would also fit - as long as you don't have any capacitors cooler housing on the bottom right of the AGP card.

WoW, nice setup - and you have a IR thermometer gun? $BLING$

Whats so bad about the mid 40's for the chipset :confused:

If the mid 40's that you claim are when your rig is loaded then thats perfectly fine.. Ive let mine go up into the high 40's to the low 50's with no problem.. it really depends on your case and room temp..

Im interested in finding what chipset hsf will work on the 250gb as well.

I had the vc-re and it fit fine - very close to the bottom right corner of the AGP card but not touching (on my X850XT w/ ac silencer5r2). Now using it on my k8n neo2.

now have the hr05 and it seems cooler - the sink is physically cooler to the touch.

Also, I highly reccomend a sink on the pwm ic. I have the bigtyphoon so the fan blows down on the socket, and with the plastic clip frame removed, I added a copper ramsink onto the chip with frag tape. Works great, and temps came down almost 8* in smartguardian.

I also like to cool the ram - the sticks get really hot to the touch for me so I added two 60mm fans blowing onto the ram at an angle.

peace

Whats so bad about the mid 40's for the chipset :confused:
47* at full load with as5 and 60mm fan blowing onto chipset...

Guess I'm like you - I like my components COLD ;) ;)

Thought about adding a NB waterblock, but seems a bit of overkill. Plus my cable and hose routing right now is simply *BRILLIANT* and I don't want to mess it up.

Also, I highly reccomend a sink on the pwm ic. I have the bigtyphoon so the fan blows down on the socket, and with the plastic clip frame removed, I added a copper ramsink onto the chip with frag tape.
Ditto, my friend. OCZ BGA Ramsink on the chip, mind you I had to mount a fan to 2 'L' brackets off the ATX mounting holes to blow on it.

Think I'm going to try the HR05 passively and see what happens - maybe add an 80mm fan if its still warm.

thankxX