Sign in to follow this  
crhain

Freeze on Boot

Well, forget my post I tried to run the test again on that raptor and no go.. called WD and the Raptor is bad, they are sending me a new one... so if and when it comes, it fixes the problem I will be fine.. if not well! Guys I will have to turn to you....

I think I might have found the cause of my problems. It might have been the combination of an insufficient PSU and an insufficent surge protecter :( I looked at the back of the surge protector and it says rated for: 120 volts and 15 amps. I am thinking that is not enough for peak power demands on my PC plus all the other things attached to it. Seems that when I put the plug in the wall, things work fine with the new power supply... of course, only time will tell.

I also discovered that my video card was running in x2 PCI-e mode with it in the second x16 slot, so I changed my SLI jumpers so both slots are now running in x8 mode.

A surge suppressor or power strip will simply pop the overload protection if you draw too much current so that's not part of your issue.

I think I might have found the cause of my problems. It might have been the combination of an insufficient PSU and an insufficent surge protecter :( I looked at the back of the surge protector and it says rated for: 120 volts and 15 amps. I am thinking that is not enough for peak power demands on my PC plus all the other things attached to it. Seems that when I put the plug in the wall, things work fine with the new power supply... of course, only time will tell.

I also discovered that my video card was running in x2 PCI-e mode with it in the second x16 slot, so I changed my SLI jumpers so both slots are now running in x8 mode.

Hmmm.... then I guess I still haven't found the source of the problem. I'll run Prime95 tonight and see what happens. I don't think it's a CPU issue, though.

Well, my system managed to run Prime95 blended torture test for 13 hours without errors… again, the system seems completely stable in Windows – it's just that it sometimes hangs at the splash screen that appears before finding the IDE/Serial ATA drives and loading the os. And by hang, I mean total nonresponsiveness.

Is it possible I have a corrupt BIOS?

Hello, I have what I believe to be the exact same problem (correct me if I'm wrong, and should create a new thread), but I think we might be able to help each other based on the troubleshooting I've been able to do with this issue.

It also freezes for me before it finishes posting, but if i unplug my sata drives from the motherboard, then it is able to get past that post screen...so far I haven't found a way around this, other than not using sata on this system which is not a option. It has been working for ~5 months straight without issues, and out of nowhere this occured.

I'm also running a Seagate sata harddrive, so you might want to try running it w/o any sort of harddrive to see what it does.

I've also tried flashing every bios version that's on Tmod's disc, but no 'avail.

Please message back if what i've found out seems to help you at all.

EDIT: it seems that this actually occurs for me when any sort of harddrive is connected. You may want to try booting without harddrives conencted to see if that makes it post(if it does, then we're in the same boat here).

-notroosmacfan