Freeze on Boot

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran mem test for 10-12 hours just a few weeks ago when I upgraded the memory. Interestingly enough, it would freeze during the last test untill I went to default memory timings (versus the more aggresive ones that OCZ suggested). Perhaps a bad floppy drive also had something to do with it? Usually when I have had failures in memtest, it just gave me errors without hanging. (and no, them memory isn't the problem, because I has having this issue before I upgraded it.)

I'll have to try running Prime95 now to test stability. Of course, the problem has always been on boot-up. My system has otherwise been rock solid.

The halt comes before bios is done loading (1 LED light), so it doesn't even get to the point of searching for a bootable hard drive and loading the OS. The drives I am using include:

1 Generic floppy drive

NEC ND-3550A DVD-RW

Seagate ST3160827AS

The halt comes before bios is done loading (1 LED light), so it doesn't even get to the point of searching for a bootable hard drive and loading the OS. The drives I am using include:

1 Generic floppy drive

NEC ND-3550A DVD-RW

Seagate ST3160827AS

I am experiencing the same issue - after system was working for 8-10hrs. I have swapped out most of my components - with the exception of the VGA card, as I don't have a spare. Is this symptomatic of a VPU issue - or could it be related to the board?

Been through MEMTEST and memory tweaking - and had a stable BIOS setting in CMOS reloaded before issues got bad. Can't boot now using "optimised defaults" or other saved CMOS (reloaded) settings. In fact, can't see the BIOS at all now - freezes before it gets there :(

In my case it is probably not the graphics card. I had an old 6600 GT that I tried (which worked for a while) but then got another freeze. Also, I would guess that a serious video card issue would mean it would halt before finding the card and it wouldn't even load in the vid card BIOS (which it does do in my case).

I replaced my PS last night and everything seemed fine. Then I tried to boot up my computer this morning before heading off to work… nothing. I get the same freeze at the post screen.

So, at this point, I have had freezes with:

#1 Different memory sticks

#2 Different video cards

#3 Floppy and CD-ROM drives unplugged

#4 Different power supplies

It could be my CPU, but I never get a halt on CPU according to the diagnostic LEDs and I get text on the screen, which indicates that my CPU is working. Also, I am not getting random crashes/reboots in windows.

It could be my hard drive, but wouldn't a failure there give me a "no disk" error or prevent me from ever booting into windows?

It could be my motherboard or some sort of corruption to my BIOS, but it is not a repeatable occurrence.

It could also be the power coming into the computer. My Surge Protector (tried it in the wall socket and still had failures, but sometimes plugging it into the wall coincides with it booting again???) Perhaps my power cord? The electric power in my building?

1 Generic floppy drive

NEC ND-3550A DVD-RW

Seagate ST3160827AS

I fixed my issue of a similar nature. I followed the formal "clear CMOS after failed boot" procedure (in the sticky threads) and this let me enter the BIOS.

By swapping bits of hardware out and changing the BIOS I was able to determine that my HDD wasn't working properly because the XP OS got corrupted.

So I had to reset the BIOS properly - with the system speaker on, reinstall XP (could have repaired it) and all was OK...

There is one more thing I will try once I get home. I had to switch my video card to the second PCI-ex16 slot on the board because the new video card was too long and was blocking airflow to my chipset. When I tested with my old video card, I also put it in that second slot. I'm not sure why this would cause intermitant failures, but it's worth looking into.

You need to read this on PSU I know for a fact yours it way too low for that 7900 GT

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...4&highlight=PSU

Not sure that will fix the problem... as I have the same and have had.. on the 2nd rig since it was put together...I have unplugged everything I can think of reinstalled win xp, did run diagnostics from westren digital..AND did find problems on the raptor 37, the disk said fixed. Last night it worked.. this morn I can't even get to the bois at the bios del/ or F1 screen ... it reads the drives it just boots there and hangs up.....Well. heck just made lier out of me I just booted again and it went to (yes agin the disgnostic screen for that HHD), but that is what it keeps doing it works then it wont work..

What are the steps I could take in order next..

I do have a 7800 gtx I could slap in and the ram from rig 1 if it is compatable (which I do not know) need Help here..To Thank

well it just hung up to ck the drive... busy/timeout would not run the test...

OH! crhain maybe you should so the guys here can help you :) They may not read that post...that it has been changed.