Sign in to follow this  
crhain

Freeze on Boot

I've had my ultra-d mobo for just over a year now and it has run flawlessly... untill recently. Every now and then the computer freezes at the splash screen when it boots. I get one beep and it displays the processor, but fails to show memory or detect the floppy drive.

So far I am sure that it isn't the memory as I had the problem with older RAM and with the new RAM I put in. Also, I ran memtest on both sets of RAM with no problems.

Other things I've considered:

#1 Power supply problem. I recently replaced my GeForce 6600 GT with a newer 7900 GT. The new video card requires more power. I have a 480W power supply, though, and I am only using a 1 DVD and harddrive on the computer. I should have enough power, correct?

#2 It's a BIOS problem. I have the default BIOS the board came with (AwardBIOS v6.00PG). It's worked for me so far, but is it possible that is the source of problems.

#3 Either my CPU or Mobo is failing in some way.

Has anyone else had similar problems or have any idea what could be going on?

The only thing that I changed before the problems started was my video card. I was using a GeForce 6600 before upgrading to the new GeForce

How many leds stay on when it fails to boot. This should show you where problem may lie.Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

Example: If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

The lower(PCI) Amber LED is the 5VSB indicator. The upper Amber LED is the RAM voltage indicator. Once the rig has started and been shut down the RAM LED will go out until the PSU is power cycled.

I tried a little experiment and installed my old vid card and the system booted. Not sure this is the issue, though, as the problem has been intermitant. I will try putting the new card back in and testing. I am hoping that I just need to upgrade my powersuply.

How many leds stay on when it fails to boot. This should show you where problem may lie.Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

Example: If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

The lower(PCI) Amber LED is the 5VSB indicator. The upper Amber LED is the RAM voltage indicator. Once the rig has started and been shut down the RAM LED will go out until the PSU is power cycled.

hmm ya working

Okay, I put the new video card back in and tried to boot. It froze again with 1 LED lit. I'm guessing that either my 480W Antec Neo is failing or it just isnt powerful enough to run 2 ROM drives, 1 harddrive, and one brand new PCI-e card that requires seperate power connector and fan connector.

Don't forget to test the new video card in another rig to make sure it's functioning.

I had a brand new dead 7900 the other day.

Unfortunatly, I don't currently have another PCI-e mobo to test it on. But the computer has managed to boot with the card and run under windows with zero reboots or crashes. The problem almost seems like the computer just can't get enough power, as it stalls right before fully loading bios (it does manage to load the video bios, though, and also recognize the CPU and memory). Perhapes my power supply is starting to fail and the greater demands of the new video card is pushing it over the edge.

Looks like I'm still having problems. I put my old video card back in, but it will still freeze on boot. To fix it, I have to unplug both optical drives. I still think it is the power supply, though. I was just looking at the current ratings for the 12V rails, and it only says 15 A. I'm guessing that is not enough for a 7900 GT. Is it possible that I damaged the power supply by trying to run a crad like the 7900 GT on a ps that cannot deliver enough current?

Hello,

Did you change any BIOS settings?

(Clear the CMOS for 5mins with psu mains cable removed)

Is the floppy drive causing all the problems? (remove it)

The PS does have two rails now that I look at it. Other one is 18A. It is still possible it is failing, though.

I will also check the floppy drive. Now that I think of it, I had my BIOS set up to search for floppy. If that were failing, perhapes it could cause it to hang.

I enabled one ROM drive and have the new graphics card in. I disabled the floppy. My machine has so far managed to boot 3 times in a row. At this point I'm not really sure what the source of the problems is. If the problem wasn't intermitant, it would be so much easier to diagnose.