dual core question

mean6

id get the 4800+ dual core. thats my next cpu im gonna get. :)
I have a 4800+ dual core and can only get it up to just under 2.8G. I'm thinking of going for an opti that I can get over 3G. The lack of cache is well made up for by the extra speed and they cost less. Why get a 4800+?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 4800+ dual core and can only get it up to just under 2.8G. I'm thinking of going for an opti that I can get over 3G. The lack of cache is well made up for by the extra speed and they cost less. Why get a 4800+?

Lack of cache compared to what? The Opty 165 has the same cache as a X2 4800+ (or FX60 for that matter).

Yea, nice deal and all but still a waste of money. Was reading through here and alot of people are right in the fact that you are wasting your money on that chip. The Opteron's are alot better in that they cost a fraction of what the 60 does. Besides the fact that they can clock just as good f not better than the 60's...Just because it costs alot, doesn't mean it's better. Just think of this, what if that 60 doesn't clock as high as your 55 did? If the stuff in your sig is up to date, those Antec PSU's are crap, trust me I know, I went through 5 of them on my DFI board. You NEED a PSU, like an OCZ or something nice. Can't go wrong with an OCZ. Someone mentioned Video card too, might not be a bad idea. But would strongly suggest a PSU. Just think that you need to cover the basics first. Imho you won't get a "good" clock out of it with that PSU anyways. GL

just my $.02

-Freez

Anybody else here agree with Freeze with regards to the psu? I have my eyes on one of the OCZ Gamextreme 600's, but I really wouldn't want to spend the extra money if I don't have too. I don't want to have an extra psu laying around with all the other extra parts that I have replaced in the last little while. :)

It's totally worth it man. Check out UncleDavid's sticky on the OCZ GX 600W in recommendations..

And extra parts can be sold, or even reassembled into machines, which have many uses. You can sell them, or use them for whatever. A working psu is a good thing to have in that kind of pile.

I'm thinking of going for an opti that I can get over 3G.

Keep hoping for the best but expect the worst. The reality is they don't reach 3.0+ as easily as it seems you think they do.

I went from an Intel 478 socket P4 and asus mobo to a 939 socket 170 opteron and DFi MoBo and I could still boot into windows in "safe mode w/networking." I've swapped my mom's 3800+ with mine and back with no trouble at all so... who knows?

I still side with a fresh install.

Keep hoping for the best but expect the worst. The reality is they don't reach 3.0+ as easily as it seems you think they do.
I've fought for every MHz on this chip. But you're probably right about getting my hopes up too high.

I've also found that 2 experts don't overclock as well as each other. I had the PCIe slots fail on my main board and since I can't afford to be without my computer (I work at home), I got a 2nd expert. All components the same except the MB. The 1st was prime stable to 2808 and I was working on 2820, but this one is only prime stable to 2760. It's not the memory and I've tried the next voltage step.

I went from an Intel 478 socket P4 and asus mobo to a 939 socket 170 opteron and DFi MoBo and I could still boot into windows in "safe mode w/networking." I've swapped my mom's 3800+ with mine and back with no trouble at all so... who knows?

I still side with a fresh install.

I've had very good luck with repair installs. I've been through 4 MBs, different chipsets and manufacturers, 3 different CPUs and not had to reinstall. Check the web. If you can boot to windows -- even if it's unstable -- and start the install from there, that's worked the best for me. You also need to slipstream your install disk to the same service level as your current windows if you've installed any service packs (google it -- it's not hard to do).