Sign in to follow this  
mean6

dual core question

are those opty's really that good. The 165 is only clocked at 1.8. Are they that easy to O.C??? Would it be better than my current CPU?

Well my 3800+ shows to out perform by alot a standard clocked FX60 in Sandra05 and the opty's are even better. 165s or I like the 10X multi of the 170s.

Yea i got talked out of buying a FX60 to..my Opty 165 just got here today..ive seen alot of people running them at 2.8ghz Overclocked..average seems to be 2.6

Do not listen to above posts about not doing a clean install. You are going from single core to dual core do a clean install. Not all advice given on forum is good advice.

While anything is possible, even doing a good repair install of Windows, too many things can go wrong. Every time I try a repair install, I get conflicts or other problems.

I guess I have done so many clean installs that it is no big deal any more. I simply don't over-load my HDD's and it is easy. I install one game at a time and only the apps that I use frequently.

I've been through 4 motherboards (3 different manus) and 2 different CPUs (a 2200+ and now the 4800+) and have only done repair installs between. No problems. YMMV :). I've had the best luck by booting into windows and running the install from there. I always backup first and had to restore and retry once (the 2nd repair took -- why the 1st didn't, I have no idea).

If you have an older CD, google on how to slipstream it with the service paks -- this is the most common failure -- trying to repair a service pak 2 windows with an older (non-service pak 2) disc.

are those opty's really that good. The 165 is only clocked at 1.8. Are they that easy to O.C??? Would it be better than my current CPU?

I have booted mine and run a couple of benchmarks @ 333x9 @ 1.5vcore. It wasn't stable without playing with BIOS settings and I haven't had the time or inclination to see just what this Opty will do. It's certainly an impressive CPU, especially considering that I paid $275 for it. Temps have run as high as 38C while running CPU Burn, but usually hover around 30ish.

This is what it runs at 24/7.

cpuz1av.jpg

My fx-60 is on it's way. I have been reading up on the dual core proc. and Amd recommends installing the dual core drivers. Are they necessary? I also read that without a new install, windows will not recognize the both cores? Can anybody shed some light on this one?

The OS's core files need to be set up different for dual core CPUs, while some might say it works, it's not the right way of going about it.

Depending on which games you play either the AMD patch or the Microsoft patch should be applied. In most scenarios I had to apply the Microsoft patch. More info on the patches, fixes or whatever one wants to call them is available through the search function.

Read this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

When going dual core, you should do the above fixes to ensure that you will have minimal problems. The only other thing I would do, is upgrade the power supply. Dual cores are pretty power hungry. One cannot under estimate the value of stable, strong psu supplying plenty of amps to your equipment.

I have a friend buying my fx55, after all said and done the fx-60 will only cost $500

Yea, nice deal and all but still a waste of money. Was reading through here and alot of people are right in the fact that you are wasting your money on that chip. The Opteron's are alot better in that they cost a fraction of what the 60 does. Besides the fact that they can clock just as good f not better than the 60's...Just because it costs alot, doesn't mean it's better. Just think of this, what if that 60 doesn't clock as high as your 55 did? If the stuff in your sig is up to date, those Antec PSU's are crap, trust me I know, I went through 5 of them on my DFI board. You NEED a PSU, like an OCZ or something nice. Can't go wrong with an OCZ. Someone mentioned Video card too, might not be a bad idea. But would strongly suggest a PSU. Just think that you need to cover the basics first. Imho you won't get a "good" clock out of it with that PSU anyways. GL

just my $.02

-Freez

Sign in to follow this