dual core question

mean6

I am going to be buying an FX-60 within the next couple of weeks, and I just wanted to know, is there anything I am going to have to do in order for the swap to be successful. Am I going to have to due a fresh install? etc, etc? Or can I just reset bios, and put the new cpu in and boot up?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caffeinejunkie

Instead of the fx60 you might wanna opt for the 165. You'll be saving alot of money and theres a good chance it will clock just as well if not better. As for the OS issue you shouldnt need to format. Just clear the cmos as you said and all should be good.

Guest caffeinejunkie
Do not listen to above posts about not doing a clean install. You are going from single core to dual core do a clean install. Not all advice given on forum is good advice.

You do realise that you can even switch motherboards using different chipsets without a fresh instal. Sure you have to take the proper steps first but it's very easy to do and done right you wont have any issues. Same goes for going from single to dualcore.

Guest Kobalt
Do not listen to above posts about not doing a clean install. You are going from single core to dual core do a clean install. Not all advice given on forum is good advice.

While it IS best to do a clean install, you can also do a repair install, and that will usually work also. You got nothing really to lose but time.

If you do end up having issues, then you can do a clean install.

It depends on what you use your system for, but why buy an FX-60? If you already have a stable FX-55 @ 2.81, upgrade the rest of your PC. Buy a nicer mobo, video card, power supply, and monitor. You can get all of that for the price of the FX-60.

Also, there is a better processor out there called an Opteron 165 that will match the FX-60 with some time and effort, for a mere fraction of the price. Do some research before you splurge and buy that expensive, new processor.