Sign in to follow this  
pjr710

xp 3200, NF2B, 1gb ram, aiw x800xt, my pcmark05 score was 3380, y?!?!?

hey guys i havent been on here in quite some time, but i recently started to become very interested in my computer again, and dod:s.

so i tried overclocking w/ my mobo, but i then realized i have no idea how to do anything besides change the multiplier and fsb, and voltage, i do not know correct ram timings or where to find them, and i don't know some of the agp specs ..

but anyway, i always had a feeling my computer should perform better than it does, i mean i run every other game besides half life 2, and all those source mods, perfectly, but it doesnt really do as good as i would hope w/ hl2, so i tried pc mark and that was my score only for me to search online and see what other ppl got , and it was way higher than mine, and i personally think i have a decently built computer.. here are my specs

xp 3200 @ 2.2ghz

1gb Corsair valueselect

Lanparty NF2 Ultra B

ATI AIW x800XT

Samsung 120 sata HD

WD 20gb ide HD

edit: i also have my bios on "aggressive if that even means anything"

ive never flashed my bios, i have the revision from like 03 or 04 .. not sure when , but i mean is this normal .. or is there anything i can do to tweak this so it runs like it should?

also i dont know if i should have this or not, but my aiw has a primary driver, and then a secondary driver installed, i do not know y but it has always been like this.. is this normal .. or should there just be one?

well i mean technically socket A is 4 sockets old already (462, 754, 939, AM2) And PCmark05 is the newest generation of PCMark so it'll be "harder" for your older processor to get a decent score

well i mean .. u dont think theres anything like holding back my performance do u .. as long as im gettin the most out of all of my hardware im happy .. its just sometimes i get disssapointed w/ my cpu

i'd prolly say your CPU is holding you back (and perhaps that value ram)

I'd seriously look into upgrading components... you can get into the 64bit world for pretty damn cheap now a days

i no .. but then thats a new board new ram ... i mean new video card .. i just bought this x800 .. and id like to get a pci-e board .. so i dunno i was thinking another year or two and ill build another computer .. by them the fx cpus should have come down .. so i might get one of those.. i dunno tho

hey 710, hate to drag this offtopic, but does your AIW X800XT run warm as well? i mean, is the PCB itself realy hot? mine is, runs very hot, not just the core, the entire freaking card...

yea the aiw x800xt does run pretty warm .. the whole card .. anyway to fix this? and does it affect performance that much?

Guest Darien

considering your current settings, equipment and the fact you're not overclocking your video card... I'm pretty damn impressed you scored as high as you did.

that's probably because PCMark05 is more GPU dependent than it is CPU dependent... obviously both count... but it's because the x800 video card is such a strong performer that you scored so well.

recommended upgrades:

1st: go to the dumpster and place your 3200 into it... make sure no one is looking... then, don't admit to anyone that you ever had one... don't mention it again and in time that painful memory will go away... get a 2400 or 2500 XP-M.

2nd: RAM... get TCCD or TCC5 based RAM... OCZ plat rev2 3200's or Patriot PDP 3200 XBLK are 2 fantastic choices and are inexpensive.

3rd and equally important... go get a real Power Supply... OCZ Powerstream is my recommendation

good luck

@pjr710: Welcome Back. A coupla' guys here in the forum are have big troubles w/xp3200 LP-B"s could I get you to look over thier threads and see if you can see maybe what they are doing diffrent that's causing thier troubles. It's been my understanding that XP3200's and LP-B's-Infinities have issues. And we are startin' to see more XP3200's here than ever before.

Any help you can render is most welcome. I don't know about your pcmark05 scores. But the fact you are windows stable w/that board-processor combo,Sez yer' doin' OK.

;) A little harsh but sadly mostly true.......

Better power supply considering the hardware your running that would be my first "new buy".

At the settings your running for now the 3200 "seems" to like them,,,,,,i would wonder though when you wanted to OC that rig if probs would then rear its head.

Which leads on to your ram, value select wont cut a decent OC :(.

For most here a mobile cpu is what runs best and high MHZ for OCing........

Just some things you should take into consideration "IF" you were thinking of upgrading, IF NOT then stick wif what you got dude and "make do" ;)

Take heed of users advice here, they know whit their taking about "most of the time" LOL ;).

Gluck man. Logan.

Think this was back when me and loggan26 was doin a little racin,

3dmark0360012942il.th.gif

3dmark0560012944lv.th.gif

2005060123520304369ap.th.gif

I don't remember any probs running the 6600gt @250x10,for fwiw

:) i remember that, good time man...LOL, hehehehehe.....dem Gt6600 was a hard a$$ to catch wif my ole 9800pro......

Hope all is well with yea dude. ;)