Ata 100/133 ===> Sata

howie b

I found THIS, and i was wondering if this thing actually works....is there any speed degredation associated with it?? If not, i might buy one so i can start getting sweet SATA Power :D Please only educated responses...only if oyu know anything about it.

As long as you have an ide channel on your motherboard using one of those convertors wouldnt give you any benefits except maybe asthetic and tempure wise(flat cable to thin round). Other than that, there shouldnt be any speed degredation cause sata is faster than ide anyway.

I dont know. If you want to put something else on your ide channels, id say go for it. But if you dont need the extra ide space, id say skip it.

on a side note, since when does 1.5Gbs/s = 150MB/s? Even if hes talking megabits versus megabites hes still off. by three hundred kilobits.

Support transfer rate of 1.5Gb/s (150 MB/s)
Edited by andrusk

:withstupid: I was wondering about that myself.....I guess what i was trying to ask is: since it is a converter, and with many converters the converting process makes you lose bandwith, will i get "true" SATA speed with this thing, or will it just be another useless component....Also, would I have any issues if i tried to RAID it with another "real" SATA drive. I'm asking this because I already have an IDE 100 WD 80 GB Caviar 8MB drive that I want to turn into SATA (increased speed), and i would then buy another SATA drive (not converted this time), and try to RAID them. If this is not going to be possible, i would rather just buy 2 smaller SATA drives and RAID them, so im trying to save myself a hassle...anyone know?