computer shocking me!

Guest phoenixdancer_merged

Guest phoenixdancer

when i touch my pc case it gives me a eletric shock! realy hurts! funny thing is it only happens in one place!

Guest phoenixdancer

front at the bottom, my elbow keeps touching it when im playing games as the comp is on my desk.

Its grounded fine, i have the psu's ground cable connected to a copper wire that is connected to a copper pipe that goes into the ground!

i

Thats freaking awesome, I would leave it ;) Playing a game and you get shot and shocked at the same time. Good stuff.

Like Ace says we are gonna need some pics careful though if you are using a front mounted USB with your camera, probably wouldnt be a good idea to shock your camera.

try directly grounding the case by wrapping a copper wire around part of it and running it directly to a pipe. You'll never really "fix" the cause of the problem but atleast it wont be shocking you

I have to disagree with the second part of your statement.

Many problems can be repaired via having the full information of the situation presented along with approaching the difficulty the user is experiencing in a open-minded, yet knowledgable, manner.

After getting hit with 220v up both arms twice, 120v up my left arm 7 times and 120v up my right arm over 20 times, due to lack of information provided by the customer, I can tell you quite affirmedly that I do know what I am talking about. ;)

... You'll never really "fix" the cause of the problem but atleast it wont be shocking you

check your monitor cable, if it happens when the computer is completely turned off but the monitor is still plugged in, it might be coming from that, I know mine does occasionally.

is the mobo mounted properly I incountered a similar problem a while bak were the mobo was touching a metal bar and the case would shock you if it was on.check any loose/unused wirings to make sure they are not in contact with something.

i had an elcheapo PSU way back in my K6 that would shock you if you touched an unpainted area of the case (like thae back), not sure why but i eventualy had to get a new PSU anyways after i upgraded to a K6-III+ and started overclocking :D.

My antec Lanboy would reboot everytime I touched the chromed strip on the face plate (around the power buttom and front usb plugs). Didn't shock me enough to feel it, it would just re-boot...

A couple of months ago I was inserting a floppy in a Coolermaster C5. The floppy was about half way in and one of my fingers touched the wire mesh covering the 5 1/4 bay and sent a lovely blue bolt of ESD through the floppy. Took several minutes to reboot fully to the desk top after a couple of attempts. Everything seems okay and it boots normally but I'm sure something was damaged after that...

I think alot of computer cases are just poorly designed and we, for the most part, just get lucky that things like this don't happen more often....