The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree. vista does everything i need to with solid stability. the only blue screen i've had with rc2 is when i couldn't boot to windows after installing ati rc1 drivers. did a fresh format and since then not a single blue screen. at least not since i switched to the marvell lan.

as i said, at this point there's no way i could go back to using xp. if vista couldn't do something that i required then i'd have no choice but it meets all my current needs and i prefer it over xp.

btw, since rc1 i've been using it as my only os. mostly without hiccups.

Good for you.

I'm extremely frustrated that I can't get A64Info to run as I think it is a great little program.

I've also run across issues with some digital cameras and other periphials.

MBM5 works fine but I get an "Error - Driver wouldn't load" if I have it set to auto startup as my Wireless LAN loads. Once the LAN loads it works fine, but _xhp_'s NV plug-in and ATI Tool can't display vid card temps in Vista.

I'm real concerned about a 10% performance "hit" in gaming. Seems like a step backward to me.

My biggest concern is that many "OC and tweaking" programs I enjoy won't work and the additional security preventing unsigned drivers in x64 version is dissappointing to say the least. I don't think there wil be a way around "unsigned drivers" in the final version.

That's the cool thing about forums, lot of diverse (and valid) opinions as we customize our DIY rigs to meet our needs.

Vista is going to be a lot less forgiving when it comes to "upgrades" as well.

Those that are "new toy" junkies may want to keep that in mind

Vista is going to be a lot less forgiving when it comes to "upgrades" as well. Those that are "new toy" junkies may want to keep that in mind

It looks like a ome time system transfer. After that will have to buy a new copy.

Maybe it will just be a software thing. If we call maybe we'll be able to reinstall.

that would still be a huge pain in the rear.

anyway, if this one time install thing is true then i'm not going to pay for it even once.

people, get real. you really think they will make you buy a new OS for every new system?

its just bull crap running down the web. you will probably just need to give them a call and some other bla bla. new os for every new format will never happen.

We are not talking about re-formats we are talking abiout changes to hardware configurations.

And to be real, Vista has as much to do with preventing piracy as it does with innovations in the OS.

This is about as real as it gets.

15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.

a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may

reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device

becomes the “licensed device.”

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE VISTA LICENSE TERMS

just ran 3dmark 2k6 in vista. i get a much higher score then with my old x1800xt pe in xp. cpu score is probably ~100pts lower. as for total score i'm only about 200pts lower then xbitlabs got in their x1950xtx review using win xp.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8566/2k6vistamt4.jpg

i'm sure as drivers get better scores will increase to at least within margin of error vs xp.

edit - you can see in my screen shot that 3dmark disables aero. it's so irritating when apps do that. java and power dvd are the two big ones i use regularily that are incompatible with aero.

This is about as real as it gets.

15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.

a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may

reassign the license to another device one time. If you reassign the license, that other device

becomes the “licensed device.”

MICROSOFT SOFTWARE VISTA LICENSE TERMS

That's for OEM, MS have come out and said that non-OEM Vista copies will be subject to current XP rules (ie. you will need to ring MS and re-activate for each reinstall).

It was causing a bit of a stir hence their clarification.

Still a PITA none-the-less.