Sign in to follow this  
kelleybp

The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

Got Vista up and running last night on a secondary partition, first time I tried it the XP boot loader wasn't overwritten and after a lot of fiddling I finally discovered you can't load Vista via boot.ini heh, I think it installed the Vista loader on one of my other drives so I removed all drives except the OS and reinstalled and all is hunky dory.

Haven't had too much time to do more than setting up my shares and codecs but I'm doing a load of reading in this thread (thanks soundx98 :)) and I'm looking forward to testing out some game action tonight :)

On a side note, will a game installed on my XP partition run on Vista? Or will I have to reinstall? I'll be trying tonight so will let you know if the answer is unknown..

I can access and run most programs on the XP or x64 partitions from Vista including futuremark 3Ds so I'm assuming (depending on the game) that you can run them as well.

I think the vid drivers are more optimized for Vista Visuals than gaming.

No overclocking or SLI.

WDDM tests the drivers at every boot to see if all the Vista "pretties" can be enabled.

Dual screen is working fine with the built in drivers on my NV and ATI cards.

If you downloaded the 5728 from MIcrosoft (not RC1) the latest nVidia drivers are in it allready (95.64). The ones on NVs site are the 88.61s (post Vista Beta 2 but still old.

You'll probably have a little screen pop up before gaming that sat "Colors are changing to Vista Basic". I know you want to get tricky with different drivers and overclocking but it ain't gonna happen.

I'm sure ATI and NV will devote some time to new drivers as it gets closer to launch.

Right now they are stable but hardly fast.

i'm having a couple problems with this new build that weren't present with 5600. main thing is my networking. if i browse shares from my other xp machines it crashes my router. not only do i have to restart it but i have to reboot my comp as well. manually to cause windows won't shut down.

second problem is with the x-fi drivers. i can no longer right click on volume and go to recording devices without the driver crashing instantly. pretty sure that's cause i'm still using beta 2 drivers cause creative is the worst company for tech support.

this build does seem faster though. haven't done any gaming but about to now. btw, there's a new daemon tools that fully supports vista (and works just fine with 5728) out now.

If you downloaded the 5728 from MIcrosoft (not RC1) the latest nVidia drivers are in it allready (95.64). The ones on NVs site are the 88.61s (post Vista Beta 2 but still old.

these drivers that come with vista 5728 have proven to be most stable for me and ut2004 installed right off dvd like it should(didint with rc1 5600). I have no artifacts like I did with rc1 runnin dual monitors I would recommend people stay with the drivers that came with it. I did try 96.33and caused video lag in ut2k4 and also video artifacts when dragin windows to second monitor.:mad:

Drivers from both camps will only get better.

I think ATI received WHQL certification for theirs this week.

@ Soundx98 is the ATI driver any better bro I have just started to notice a few tiny pauses while playing BF2.

Using 5600 but I have the 5728 already burned, Is it worth it?

Edit: I have 3 x 10Gb partitions first on my 120Gb I Have XP Pro on the first Vista 5600 on the second would it still be ok to add Vista 5728 on the third?

I'm liking 5728.

Just seems to run smoother.

A fresh install will take 30-35 minutes just like XP.

An update will take twice as long.

I always seem to have better performance with a clean install no matter what the OS

If is was me I would delete the 2nd and 3rd partitions and combine them into a single 20G partition.

You've got to be close to full if you load any other programs on that 2nd partition.

Makes it a hell of a lot harder to defrag when you have no room.

(check out the Raxco Perfect Disc 8 Vista 150 day trial}

http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/p...wnload_home.cfm

You can run it from Vista for XP as well.

If you are running Office Beta 2007 remember to UNINSTALL it before an UPGRADE.

Whatever Vid driver you choose is gonna be updated anyway. So it will only improve.

The RAM demands for Vista and BF2 are freakin' huge.

Whether the pauses are from Vid driver or RAM demands is hard to say.