The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

anyone know of any drivers for my geforce go 6800 that will work in vista? any help would be great.

I downloaded the drivers from Nvida Beta. I am running 2 XFX Extreme 6800 cards in SLI mode on my DFI Expert. Once you download the driver and install on the first card your screen might go blank and you will have to manually reboot. I had to do a manual search in safe mode to get the driver for the second card installed. I am still getting used to vista so there may be an easier way.

Jason

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw everyone

remember if you are overclocked and having troubles, you need to drop down to stock speeds for a bit

Windows XP 64-bit is much more sensitive to overclocking and I've seen countless users say that their 32-bit XP is perfectly stable @ 2800Mhz but 64-bit was not until they dropped back down to around 2500Mhz for example.

Always keep this in mind.

Thats interesting. I am running Vista 64bit on a DFI Expert with an OPTY 165 overclocked to 2.7 GHZ on air in SLI mode with no problems. Maybe I just am lucky. I did a fresh install of Vista 64x on a new WD Raptor 74GB with a 16MB Cache.

Jason

Seems to me that 5384 was running smoother for me, but a lot of the little quirks (like media playback) work better in 5456. You can get the driver updates from Windows update for either version, but the Windows Update drivers cause slow startup and shutdown times for me in either build, so I use the beta drivers from nzone. The glass effect seems a lot better in the latter build, and UAC is not quite as annoying in this build either. My Network connections seem more stable, and the Network Center got a little update. The Vista cursors are there but not enabled by default, no Vista sound scheme yet. :( Movie maker doesn't exit automatically (as in 5384), when no DVD is inserted, but no working AVI support as far as I can tell. Flip3d looks and works better and there is a quicklaunch icon for it now. I am sure there's more, just listing some things off the top of my head here.

I couldn't get the PC Cillin trial to work though, I am using EZ-Trust trial now, which works decent.

Edit:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvi..._gallery_01.asp

"...Dramatically improved Setup speed. Long ago, Microsoft promised that Windows Vista would install in about 20 minutes, but we've seen nothing even close to that throughout the beta. While Windows Vista build 5456 doesn't quite achieve the 20 minute mark, it did install in just 30 minutes on my primary desktop, which is quite a bit better than before.

Slightly smarter networking. The first time you boot up into build 5456, it sets up the network as a public network rather than ask you if its public or private. Then, you have the option of changing it to private if that's what the network is (and it likely is if you just installed Vista).

Much faster network browsing. In Beta 2, waiting for Windows Vista to load your list of networked computers and shares was painfully slow. That's all been fixed in build 5456: Now, you're networking resources pop-up immediately, making the Network icon suddenly useful again.

Network and Sharing Center. The old Network Center has been renamed and prettied up. That's good, because Network Center was a UI disaster. Hopefully, with a few more tweaks, they can get this one right.

Switch between programs is back. Previously pre-release versions of Windows Vista included a Quick Launch icon that would trigger the cool Flip 3D task switcher, which can be handy for those without a Windows Key on their keyboard (Flip 3D is normally triggered by tapping Windows Key + Alt). Well, it's back in build 5456. Nice!

Aero performance warning. When you view the color scheme portion of Control Panel, Vista now warns you that utilizing Windows Aero's translucency effects might impact the performance of your PC. If you turn off translucency, the warning goes away.

New icons and branding all around. Microsoft hasn't yet placed the final boot screen in build 5456, but a number of other areas have received new icons or branding icons. The Welcome Screen and Secure Desktop now identify which version of Windows Vista (Ultimate, etc.) you're running. And throughout the Start Menu, Control Panel, and other on-screen locations, you'll see plenty of new icons.

Performance improvements. Throughout the system, Windows Vista is much speedier than was Beta 2. The best example of this is with Microsoft Word 2003: In Beta 2, the first time you saved any document, the application would slow to a crawl and you could watch the saving animation occur in super slow motion. It's still a bit slow in build 5456, but now you don't have time to go get coffee. In fact, the whole thing takes only 2-3 seconds. This is about 10 times faster than it was in Beta 2. I'm not saying the whole system is ten times faster, of course. But there is a general speediness about Vista that was simply lacking in Beta 2.

DVD Maker no longer quits if you don't insert a blank DVD, which I always found annoying and unnecessary.

Windows Movie Maker was updated to the new Vista look and feel with a new black toolbar and menu bar area. It doesn't appear to have been given any major functional improvements, however.

Windows Photo Gallery was substantially updated with new prebuilt tags and a restyled toolbar.

Windows Update has been integrated with Windows Ultimate Extras, which is nice, but where is Microsoft Update integration? When I install Microsoft Office 2003, Windows Update doesn't automatically download Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1), as it should. I assume this will be fixed at some point.

List view is back!! Thanks to numerous complaints from users, Microsoft has returned List view to its rightful place in the Explorer view styles. Now if they'd just return Filmstrip and XP-style folder views as well, I could stop complaining about the shell.

Internet Explorer 7. IE 7 picks up drag and drop tabs, which is nifty.

Windows Aero mouse cursor!! There's a new high-resolution mouse pointer that uses Windows Aero display technology (presumably): It's not turned on by default, but it's beautiful, with no more jaggy edges. Check it out..."

Right click on Computer, click Manage.

===>Storage section ===>Disk Management.

Then right click on the partition and choose either Expand or Shrink Volume to resize the partition.

I never noticed that before, was it a feature in earlier builds? Has anyone tried it?

Damn, I want in, I'm missing all the fun. Just out of curiousity I installed the 32 bit on an old eMachine with a 3ghz Celeron and 64 mb on board graphics. I didn't think it would even function, but it does. Looks really good and fluid.

I have 64 bit on disk, just waiting for drivers for 7950GX2.

Here we go again, this kind of crap happens after a few weeks running Vista, almost everytime. Stupid little glitches here and there, doesn't bother me though, I know it's just a beta. It kind of reminds me of Windowblinds messing up in XP.

bug4nostartorb.jpg

Good info ReelFiles.

Tried upgrading Vista x64 5384 to 5456 on a bud's PC.

major hassles but it might have been me.

Then did a full install of 5456. Setup is a WHOLE LOT Faster.

It does seem to have it's own set of problems though. All the things pointed out regarding different UAP and networking are definately correct.

We were told that upgrading to RC1 from 5456 may not work so we went back to 5384.

Did the same install procedure from x64 Edition to start Vista x64 and then all the other tweaks that have been discussed and rigs are working fine.

We'll stick with 5384 and hope that NVidia brings some new Vid drivers to the party.

Everest 3.00.645 is detecting GPU Temp as well as core and mem clock. :)

The Expand/Shrink functions DO work in 5384 and I think is a very kewl feature.

Worked fine on the IDE Drive but didn't have the guts to mess with it on the RAID array.

Thanks for that info.

shrink6de.th.jpg

shrink29nn.th.jpg

shrinkextend2dl.th.jpg

By Paula Rooney and Barbara Darrow, CRN

7:28 PM EDT Tue. Jul. 11, 2006

http://www.crn.com/sections/custom/custom....cleId=190302262

I don't see it in the road map...probably a fluke.

Beta 1 Development:

Windows Vista Build 5112 (Beta 1) - Released July 27th, 2005

Beta 2 Development:

Windows Vista Build 5219 (September CTP) - Released September 13th, 2005

Windows Vista Build 5231 (October CTP) - Released October 16th, 2005

Windows Vista Build 5259 (TAP Build - Leaked) - Released November 2005

Windows Vista Build 5270 (December CTP) - Released December 16th, 2005

Windows Vista Build 5308 (February CTP) - Released February 22nd, 2006

Windows Vista Build 5342 (Interim Build) - Released March 24th, 2006

Windows Vista Build 5365 (Interim Build) - Released April 21st, 2006

Windows Vista Build 5381 (Interim Build) - Released May 5th, 2006

Windows Vista Build 5384 (Beta 2) - Released May 23rd, 2006

Release Candidate Development:

Windows Vista Build 5456 (Interim Build) - Released June 24th, 2006

Windows Vista RC1 - Release TBA

..............................................................................................................

New taskbar style

newtaskbar.jpg

Guest Kobalt

I tri boot with vista, and today, wanted to try it out again.

I still get a HUGE delay of over 5mins while booting vista. In safemode, it basically stops at crcdisk.sys I think it is, and then after 5-7 mins all is fine, and boots into vista.

This is such a PITA to have this delay every freaking time.

Then once it did boot, came up with the activation crap, and no matter what option you pick, it wouldn't let me activate. It would always error out.

Found the solution to that, and got it activated.

Still got the HUGE delay on bootup though. Dunno what the issue is. All drives are fine. Maybe it don't like all the partitions or something. :confused: