The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Neezer
Definately need a DVD due to size, it's over 3G. won't be fittin' on a CD (and burn it a slow speed)

I think that was my problem. this morning I tried to burn one to a dvd at 6x. that was the max available speed. should I do it at 2 or 4, or maybe even just 1x. The one that i burned this morning said that there were corrupted files and gave me a huge error message once i rebooted from the disk.

Hey guys,

I installed the Beta 2 and am having a weird issue. When I 1st booted, I got a BSOD at the stage where the small gray bar is showing to be loading. The system rebooted before I could read the error.

I was able to boot into safe mode. I installed all the missing drivers and rebooted. Once again, the system restarted itself at the loading Windows stage. This time no blue screen.

I disconnected my IDE drive which is on the Primary IDE 0 channel and kept my 400GB SATA drive which has the OS on it. Please note this is not a multi-boot, I only have Vista on the drive.

Without the IDE drive present, the system booted into Vista perfectly. I've been running two days with no errors or crashes. But as soon as I reconnect the IDE drive, the system wont boot into Vista normally :confused:

I tried all I can think of and searched Google and other vista forums high and low. Any ideas for a solution.

If I cant figure anything out, I may have to buy an IDE to SATA adapter and connect it to one of the empty SATA ports.

tia

I would try reinstalling Vista, try burning the ISO slower.

....................................................................................................................................................

So who’s winning the Vista driver race so far – ATI or NVIDIA?

LINKAGE

who’s winning the Vista driver race so far – ATI or NVIDIA? LINKAGE

that article seemd very biased towards ATI. personally, i could care less if my drivers were digitally signed by Microsoft. i mean honestly, does the signing really affect performance? and should i really buy a 1900 just because its signed? thats like buying something that was made in china just to peel the little gold 'china' sticker off of the bottom.

also, why should i complain that ATI has a fancy schmancy catalyst control center that does the exact same thing that the video properties does? "ooh, ima get ATI because they have redundant software that they want me to use over the default Windows options. also, they use up space on my already full hard drive, yay!"

yes, this is also biased against the writer and towards Nvidia..but hey, he started it!

Inside Microsoft's new Driver Quality Rating system

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060614-7054.html

"...Microsoft is turning to a Driver Quality Rating (DQR) system that it hopes will motivate both OEMs and device manufacturers to increase their commitments to driver quality.

The DQR system relies on scores to indicate a driver's quality level, and it derives those scores from user-submitted crash reports. Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis Team will analyze crash reports to determine the ratio of crashing systems to non-crashing systems. Drivers that rarely cause crashes will be rated "Green," while moderately problematic drivers will be rated "Yellow." The horrid stuff gets a big, fat "Red" rating. (Microsoft has not revealed the exact methodology for determining these scores, only that "Green" maps to 7-9 points, "Yellow" 4-6, and "Red" 1-3.)

Furthermore, to achieve a "Green" status, a driver must have been released and in use for at least 120 days (starting on June 1, 2007), and must maintain its stability throughout time. Driver manufacturers (or OEMs) must rectify any problem that causes a driver's rating to fall to "Yellow" or "Red" within 90 days, or suffer the consequences. For drivers of this sort, updates must be made available through Windows Update, as well...."

yes, but how many of us, honestly, submit crash reports? ive honstly successfully submitted about 3 crash reports in my entire XP life, and ive canceled about a dozen of the ones that stop responding..that was until i figured out how to turn of the error reports.

yes, but how many of us, honestly, submit crash reports? ive honstly successfully submitted about 3 crash reports in my entire XP life, and ive canceled about a dozen of the ones that stop responding..that was until i figured out how to turn of the error reports.

Whoah...how do yu do that???