The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

You have to make sure to enable Remote desktop on the machine you are trying to access, also the account you want to use to access that machine will have to have a password in order for authentication to work. You'll find Remote Desktop in your start menu, I think under accessories (I am using Ubuntu atm) atm.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After running Vista Beta 2 32 bit for a week, I have decided to go back to XP...there was problems with finding printer drivers (from Dell)...and after 6 hours of fighting with my home network and settings...decided Vista B2 doesn't like networking with XP...so...to keep everyone happy..etc...

Was impressed with the look and operation of Vista, and I am sure once ALL the bugs and driver issues are figured out AND fixed, it will be a superb operating system...well, as good as any of them get, I guess...I have enjoyed and learned quite a bit from reading all the input here as well as the other topics...thanks, and keep up the neighborliness..

RC

Soundx98:

I'll split these up into two posts to keep things orderly. Please do with the guides what you will, mods feel free to move/delete/clean up my posts as needed to keep everything orderly.

CREATIVE AUDIGY/2/4 VISTA INSTALLATION GUIDE:

Here we go:

FIRST STEP:

disable UAC baloney

Control Panel >> User Accounts >> Change security settings >>clear UAC checkbox >>reboot

SECOND STEP: (thanks to Pyr0 @ PlanetAMD64.com)

disable Driver Signing in Vista

To prevent vista from requiring signed drivers:

1. customize the start menu and enable the run command, in the run command box, type cmd

2. enter the following in the command window that appears, to disable driver signature checks:

bcdedit –set nointegritychecks ON

3. reboot the computer

if the "bcdedit –set nointegritychecks ON" does not work, try "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON"

THIRD STEP:

download and install the XP 32/64bit driver package 2.08.0004.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD VISTA BETA DRIVERS. THEY ARE NOT FOR BUILD 5384. THEY DO NOT WORK. Too many people in this forum banging their heads against the wall with a useless driver.

FOURTH STEP:

run the installer. if you get an error regarding the operating system, stop the installation. if this happens, you'll need to extract the driver package, navigate to the extracted files folder, right-click on "Setup.exe", click "Properties", navigate to Compatibility tab. enabled Compatibility mode for XP SP2, and run the Setup.exe again, this time from the extracted files folder.

FIFTH STEP:

xxxeditxxx was not clear enough on the second install xxxxeditxxx

now open Control Panel, open System, open Device Manager and expand "Sound,video and game controllers". Highlight the Audigy, click Properties, go to Driver tab and click Uninstall Driver at the bottom. reboot the computer and when Windows asks you for a driver for your Multimedia Audio Device, tell it to "Don't Ask Me Again". Now run the installer again and reboot.

HERE IS THE TRICK TO KEEPING THE WHOLE THING WORKING....right-click on your sound icon in the system tray, choose "Audio devices", double-click on "Play Control", then navigate to the Configuration tab. Mode will be 2.1 channel by default, change it to whatever you want...5.1, 7.1, etc. use the test to make sure your mode is working properly. Now open Creative Audio Console, where you will see that although "Syncronize with Control Panel" is checked, Audio Console still shows 2.1 channel. LEAVE THIS SETTING ALONE. If you change 2.1 to another mode, you'll lose the subwoofer. If you leave it @ 2.1...your subwoofer will continue working in 4.1/5.1/6.1/7.1 modes. If you accidentally change Audio console to say 5.1 mode and lose bass, simply un-check "Syncronize", reset Creative Audio to 2.1-channel mode and reboot the PC.

now comes the part where you realize all the popping and hissing from your speakers/headphones is actually from the Mic being over-boosted. unplug it, turn it off or turn down the +20dba gain setting, though it may not stay saved.

that's it. you're done.

fully-functional Audigy 2 7.1 channel/EAX/bass and the whole works, including the Audio console. No reason this shouldn't work with X-Fi or Audigy 4 either.

GUIDE TO INSTALLING IDEAZON ZBOARD/FANG/MERC DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE UNDER VISTA X64:

download Zboard 4.81 x64 beta driver pack (for XP x64)

do NOT run the package

instead, extract the files to a folder

navigate to the extracted files

find Setup.exe in the Disk1 folder

right-click on Setup.exe, click "Properties, go to "Compatibility" page. click on "Compatibility mode" and set to Windows XP SP2. NOW run Setup.exe from the extracted files folder. the driver and software will install.

once you got everything installed, navigate to:

C:ProgramFiles(x86)IdeazonZboardSoftwareDriver

find "KUpdate.exe"

right-click on "KUpdate.exe", click "Properties", go to "Compatibility" page. just like above, set this file to run in Compatibility Mode for XP SP2.

that's it. now you have working Zboard drivers and software that will update without checking OS versions.

soundx98, sorry these took so long to put up

just fwiw, I've managed to get some other misc applications to run in Vista x64 as well, most without any install control on my end, except PowerStrip:

PowerStrip

ATiTool

nVHardpageSE

NVTweak

now I can't think of the others, if anybody has questions about any of these, feel free to post or PM. PowerStrip is currently the only proggie that will control image quality in Vista x64, and that includes the nVidia Control panel.

Hawkeyefan thanks for the walkthrough. :)

Appropriate links have been added to the 1st post in thread.

If I understand your last post it seems that you have gotten the video tweaker programs to load BUT only Powerstrip is reading the information (core, mem, and GPU). And while Powerstrip does allow some adjustments, launch of a 3D ap causes crash. Is this correct?

So at this point there is really nothing that will allow adjustments in Vista x64.

Hawkeyefan thanks for the walkthrough. :)

Appropriate links have been added to the 1st post in thread.

If I understand your last post it seems that you have gotten the video tweaker programs to load BUT only Powerstrip is reading the information (core, mem, and GPU). And while Powerstrip does allow some adjustments, launch of a 3D ap causes crash. Is this correct?

So at this point there is really nothing that will allow adjustments in Vista x64.

actually no, with the Vista drivers you can use PowerStrip to set image quality/AA/AF/Vsync and a handful of other optiimizations. I've had great luck using the Performance and Application profiles to handle IQ with regards to games or benching 3DMarks. Was able to regain a fair chunk of lost 3DMark points by starting the app via PowerStrip application profile.

I don't think all the the optimizations that are selectable actually do anything...i.e. I don't think 8xAA/16xAF is even possible because of driver limitations...maybe I'll run some more benchies tonight or tomorrow and see which opties work and which don't.

also fwiw, the Powerstrip version I'm using is 3.66 build 564 (x64 beta)

Guest Neezer

I have a question for you guys.

I downloaded the 32 bit version if vista. (beta II). The file name is:

vista_5384.4.060518-1455_winmain_beta2_x86fre_client-LB2CFRE_EN_DVD.iso

underneath the icon it says that it as a DLM file type. I am trying to burn it onto a dvd to load it onto my extra ide drive. I am using CDBurnerXP Pro. Can you guys help me with what I need to do. I have already wasted one DVD, I think, and I dont want to waste any more.

On the one that I think I wasted, I burned the dvd, and then reset my computer. I went into bios and set the dvd drive as the priority boot device. then when it boots it boots into dos, and the prompt says something like: [DR DOS] A:

Any ideas?

Not sure as I havent used that particular program...

I used Nero-6 and burned the Dvd with Nero express...it was pretty much automatic...no fuss at all...then I just changed the boot priority to cdrom in bios and popped the dvd in to either dvd drive and it booted into dos and loaded......

It sounds like you cdburning program did not burn it correctly to make it a bootable dvd-rom....

I would suggest using nero..if you dont have it..download a trial version of 6 if you can find it...then you can uninstall it if you like when done...

Update for Windows Vista Beta 2 and Windows Codename Longhorn Server Beta 2 (KB919946) NOTE: x86 Version Only

Download: Update Patch (KB919946) | 622 KB @ Microsoft

Install this update to fix an issue where in the presence of Internet Protocol security (IPsec) or Windows Firewall, a race condition can be hit on multi-processor (or hyper-threaded) systems causing memory corruption, leading to a system crash.

It is unknown if this affects the recently released build 5456, file date is 27th so it probably does.