The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im using win XP home 32-bit, and i wanna upgrade to Vista 64-bit. i booted from the CD and it said that updating was disabled and in order to just update XP i need to run the installer using XP. when i booted XP up and double cliked on my dvd drive, i get an error saying " F: is not a valid win32 application ". any thoughts? thanks.

Beta testing of OSes, Programs or Bioses is always chancy.

The smart choice for many may be to wait for RC1 or better yet the final version.

But yes, supposedly a new build has been released.

Who even knows if an upgrade from the public 5384 will be possible?

Just what I've heard (a rumor) :)

But I was told from the guy that helped me (think you know who) that the x64 build is now 3.2G in size vs the 5384 weighing in around 4.1G.

Supposedly many drivers have been removed from the package and will now be available through Windows Update. (makes sense)

Hopefully they've worked on the install issues (especially with RAID arrays) and I would bet we'll see some updated Graphics Card drivers from ATI and nVidia.

The security that is built into Vista (not allowing unsigned drivers) seems to be the major issue loading programs.

While it's great in a way, it really is the 1st thing I needed to disable (along with permissions) to get the 5384 build working.

From Neowin

"Some of the new features include a revamped Aero/DWM subsystem, and a completely overhauled and siginficantly less obtrusive UAP for all those that couldn’t stand the previous one. From what we have been told by Microsoft, the Time Zone bug that plagued previous builds of Windows Vista has been patched, and quite a few fixes in the Regional Settings and IME have been patched."

I have to eat my words again as even in the Beta stage I am enjoying it.

It has the stability of x64 Edition and I'm finally getting used to the new GUI and where everything is located. I'm sure RC1 in August will be even better.

Very exciting time for tweakers and overclockers. New OSes, Conroe, AM2 and new toys and technologies hitting the market.

Gonna be a fun 2nd half.

I was reading earlier That x86 and x64 size in at about 2.5GB and 3.3GB, respectively. This interm release is only going out to testers, as far as I know. It's just another steppingstone closer to RC1... I can't wait.

I can't wait.

I can.

So finally got the files to extract from the CD by putting the Plextor SATA DVD drive on the nvidia controller

then (with no overclock) during install, BSOD after the first reboot, that's with the Nvidia beta RAID drivers

hopefully RC1 is friendlier, I give up for now

yeah i have gotton an error twice while installing vista on the D partition of my HDD.somethin about "an error occured while copying files to local machine - error code 80070017". i deleated the DVD and re-burned it, this time not even touching the mouse or anything, and same error. i decided to re-download Vista and try again...

Intersting fact....

I have Vista installed on 2 coputers in the house and while they were running they found each other and with my permission networked together and are now sharing media player library file...I havent seen anything else they share but...will have a closer look soon...

I have been remote desktop"ing" to my other machines, I did that before anyways, so I didn't even question if it worked, and it works fine. It prompts me that the other machines lack compatible authenication, but the prompt is easily disabled via checkbox. Actually, I was just in my livingroom watching a movie which was on a shared drive in my Vista test machine, and I completely forgot that it was on that drive. I love when things just work, without having to think about it.

whats the easiest way to remote desktop from vista or other wise... I have never messed with it...?

sorry for the 2 post..Iclicked edit and thats what I got...2 post instead of a eddited 1...(using heavy metal)