The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

kelleybp

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also my vista startup time is ridiculus takes me long time, I saved all my files from xp but now I am thinkin it might be somethign related to that so would I be able to say start over and reinstall without savin stuff again?

I sure as heel wouldn'y be giving up XP Pro for a while.

If you do a dual boot make sure oldest OS is loaded 1st, and then newer.

I'd suggest at least a 50G partition for Vista.

the mutha's huge :D

Gave Vista 64 a whirl, it's not even close to being a reasonable OS as far as I'm concerned. Very slow, uses a bunch of CPU and memory with really no advantage that I can see yet. I'll stick with XP64 for now and wait for Vista to be refined.

well after reinstallin vista I am still gettin incredibly slow start up times of upto like 3 min or so dunno why, anyone got ideas?

edit-btw I got a rating of 5 by winsat its not my pc I know that for sure

System drivers (manual install through device manager)

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download..._x86_beta2.html

Beta drivers (Haven't tried these)

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download...betadriver.html

I used the grafics drivers from nVidia's site (don't know of the geforce/tnt drivers are what you need)

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

If you use the product key Microsoft emailed to you, you can use that to activate it for good, worked for me. I believe you can activate up to 10 PCs with that.

I dont have any of the things that are listed in the pdf to manually install drivers, i dont have anything relating to that in device manager like say sm bus driver Its not listed in my DM, this odd?

I haven't installed it yet, it's collecting dust some few more days, but I think that one of the contributing factors which causes the system to be slow is that it's a Beta with a lot of debug cods activated. These debug cods do take up system resources and when they will be deactivated in a coming release it should give the system a boost.

A phy RAID Array, such as one that is set up in the BIOS? Or one that already runs with XP??

BIOS

I dont have any of the things that are listed in the pdf to manually install drivers, i dont have anything relating to that in device manager like say sm bus driver Its not listed in my DM, this odd?

I saw that too, I only installed what was needed and the graphics driver.

Someone needs to compile an installer, I wish I knew how, but I am not good with programming yet.

Could everyone list their "ratings"? I got 3, I think it's because I only have 1Gb of RAM (LOL, I can't believe I just wrote that, I can remember saying that when I had 64Mb of RAM, back in the day)