Sign in to follow this  
kelleybp

The HUGE BIG-BIG Windows Vista Thread

Thanks soundx98 I have been looking for a way to install vista on my raid! I will be trying it to night when I get home tonight.

P.S. Nice find! :)

Fernando has updated his RAID Set Up information for Vista

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt66299....d2327f04623825e

Thanks for the link, I just installed Vista 32 bit on top of XP on my spare (RAID) PC. To finally get it to install I ended up doing a clean install of XP, did not register or load any drivers just switched to the Vista disk after the first boot.

Mike

hello

i have recently installed the manufacturer edition of x86 windows vista ultimate (build 6000). vista's drivers properly recognize my GPUs but the OS gives me this error:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I presume that it is not a driver-related issue, because both vista's built in drivers and nvidia's drivers act the same way. i think that it might be a motherboard or other software problem.

i've recently installed this windows update:

NVIDIA - system - nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

Installation date: ‎11/‎16/‎2006 12:23 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

Driver update provided by NVIDIA for support of nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

but it doesn't seem to resolve my problem. i don't think that it can be the driver's fault because both microsoft's drivers and nvidia's drivers give me the same problem. but i may be wrong.

so...did any of you bumped into this problem?

PS: as for my impression of vista...the greatest achievement of microsoft is the dual-core optimization on unoptimized apps. i get an increase of over 60% in 3dmark05 (at the cpu score category).

PPS: sorry if the answers i seek have already been posted, i tried searching this thread but with no result.

Wise words here from Hymn... there is simply too many negative things to say about vista i cant possibly list them all... How ever, i will infact show you something i did to test out whats the deal here with Vista...

this is part of an email/review (what became a document sent to microsofts marketing research team)... that i wrote.

Being quite the enthusiast I am, decided to take Microsofts latest version of Vista for a spin. Hey, what can go wrong? Well... the install was rather easy, and compared to the original beta versions of Vista it did not screw up my bootloader. Microsofts "Win PE 2.0" might not be such a bad thing after all. Everyone knows Vista eats your valuable system resources with useless features such as RSS feed support in a "Gadget" toolbar. Or how about the Taskbar thumbnails, or the new "Flip" feature (alt+tab) with live thumbnails?

Just tonight I was fooling around with Vista and it gave me the great idea to show the true impact of the points explained above.

Here is some brief background information of what my Vista is running off of:

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3000+ 1.8 GHz (RUNNING @ 2.56 GHz)

1 GB of Memory (OCZ brand type if that matters... 2-2-2-5 timings if you are familiar)

nVidia geForce 6800GT - 256 MB graphics memory

Vista is going to require alot of resources, and that is obvious.

Now some quick pointers on whats happening in my basic tests to prove this point:

I turned the computer on and let Vista boot-up. After waiting for almost nothing to load (because no extra programs are installed), I opened the task manager and went to monitor the performance tab. After letting it poll for CPU usage and Memory Usage through a 30 second period I would then take a screenshot of the window. Now, i did the same on XP and although there were just a few programs having to load during startup, you can easily see the comparison.

View the Screenshot / Comparison of Vista & XP: http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/203/win...mparisonov0.jpg

Both screenshots were taken on my computer, following the steps I listed above.

Now referring back to the subject of this email, Ide have to say Microsofts breakthrough would be for them to make the most inefficent operating system I have used to-date.

Sincerely,

Tom

And there, those of you who are questioning microsofts new operating system Vista... or get seduced by its looks... or WHAT EVER your desire to buy that operating system is... i would say your crazy.

Micrsoft is claiming Direct X 10 is going to be Vista only, but im sure it will be offered on XP sooner or later slip streamed, hacked into... what ever... to get DX10 on XP.

-Tom

Hymm dude...have you read what i just wrote? ok @#[email protected] the pretty looks and all but the dual-core optimization?! tell me how i can make an unoptimized app use both cores in xp. because i have no idea. i repeat, 3dmark05 had an increase of over 60% at cpu score. i consider that to be marvelous. it may not seem much, but remember that 3dmark05 isn't made to stress 2 cores at once